Complete overhaul of macbook pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by crossfit, Jun 14, 2009.

1. crossfit macrumors newbie

I am in the market for my first laptop and I want to purchase a Macbook pro. I am currently a PC user and fed up completely. My question is, does anyone expect a total overhaul of the MacBook Pro in the near future. A new generation of them? Not just some tweaks here and there. I would hate to purchase one and then see something completely different 6 months down later.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Not physically, as they were just updated in october, design wise. But it is expected, that they could get mobile quad core CPUs at the end of the year, beginning of the next year.

3. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Unfortunately that is how computers are.. They get out dated very quickly. Best thing you can do is just forget about it and buy what you need now.

That being said, as stated above the macbooks were redesigned in October, and were just updated on the 8th.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

5. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

The Current MacBook Pro's are 6 days old, nows the time to buy if you want to have the current for the longest.

Doubt a Redesign, but tweaks and additions are likely near christmas.

6. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

You can get caught in a waiting game.

Many people find when using a Mac for the first time there are so many things will mean so much more to you than the specs on the box.

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

What?!?!?!?

The entire notebook line-up has been updated in the past month, and excluding the White MacBook, in a couple of days...

8. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Maybe a good place to start would be to go to the macbook pro forum and see what current owners are saying about them, good and bad.

9. Qartin macrumors newbie

Buy it now. You going to be happy with it, and satisfied that you bought it.

Computers get updated all the time, and Apple will not forget about upgrades for the older macbooks.

You will still be able to run snow leopard and everything.

Just think on the bright side.

Its not a PC :)

10. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

+1 You will quickly see specs on mac don't matter near as much. My machine is just as fast as the day I bought it.

11. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

12. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

The Winter update won't (or shouldn't) dramatically change performance or alter the physical appearance of the MBP line.

13. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Winter update = mobile Nehalems or Arrandales = huge performance increase

Also better GPUs

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well the guy is asking about complete overhauls, and so the answer to that question is, "Nope."

15. scottkifnw macrumors regular

scottkifnw

Just updated

Go to the buyer's guide tab and they will give you buying ideas! Now is a good time to buy, or September after after Snow Leopard is released, of finally, after the first of the year.

16. cni2i macrumors member

If you are not in a rush, or if you don't really care about getting a "free" iPod touch (student or educator), then you can wait and see what comes out.

Fortunately, and unfortunately, something new and better always comes out.

17. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

go ahead and buy now - if you want a MBP they are going to be constantly updated at the minimum - yearly. it's called a computer - my 6 month old MacBook is now outdated for the 13" MBP's. who cares i am still very very happy with it.