Complete restore from Time Capsule

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by donl1150, Jul 27, 2016.

1. donl1150 macrumors newbie

I will be receiving a new battery and a 1 TB OWC SSD tomorrow to upgrade my MacBook Air 13" mid-2011. I have an Airport Time Capsule on my network but have never restored anything from it.

I plan to first install my new battery and go through the conditioning process. Then I will replace my existing SSD with the new OWC one. I will put the old SSD into the Envoy.

My question is this: After I format the new SSD, it will be time to restore all my files onto it. Will the restore process include all of the programs as well….things such as Quicken, FileMaker Pro, Microsoft Office? Oh, by the way, I also have Parallels on my machine to run several PC based programs.

2. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

As far as I know time machine backup backup everything including your program. I restored from backup several times before and saw everything coming back.

3. haralds macrumors 6502

haralds

With the SSD Envoy case from OCD, you can transfer the internal SSD to that case. You can then boot from the original drive now external and use CarbonCopy Cloner to restore the new internal disk from your original plugged in via USB. CCC will also restore the rescue partition for you.
    This is much faster and less error prone. Restoring from Time Capsule works (I have done it, but swore to pray never to have to do it again.)

There should be no Mac without CCC. I use TimeCapsule and regular CCC clones, which can be done incrementally.

4. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Completely agree, CCC is great. Just used it extensively a few days ago when setting up a new machine. I also have a 2TB Time Capsule which is nice for peace of mind, but as network drives go, it's not very fast. With gigabit ethernet it tops out at about 60MB/sec. If you have a gigabit ethernet adapter for your 2011 MBA, that still might be an option though. Using the wifi on a 2011 MBA will be really slow (10 or 15 MB/sec?), and the USB 2.0 on the 2011 MBA maxxes out around 30MB/sec.

But I agree it will be better to just clone the old SSD to the new one. If you could put the old SSD in a thunderbolt enclosure, that would certainly be the fastest way.

5. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

Agreed. CCC works a 100%. You will have the exact same system as before.