Complete restore from Time Machine?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jyakimic, Mar 10, 2009.

1. jyakimic macrumors newbie

My superdrive in my macbook pro kicked the bucket and I have to hand the whole thing over to apple to fix. Following the advise of many people online, I will be wiping my hard drive before dropping the machine at their doorstep. I have the machine backed up via Time Machine on an external drive. Will I be able to restore it to its current state using Time Machine and my backup after it returns from Apple.

I have sensitive and important data on the laptop...this is why I need to be sure to get it all back.

2. bdj33ranch macrumors regular

Yes. You should be able to. You will need your original install disk to restore.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/15638.html

Another option would be to do a full clone to an external hard drive and then just clone it all back when you get your laptop repaired. Test the clone before wiping your hard drive!! Plus you still would have your Time Machine backup. Can't be too careful.

Keep in mind that a low level reformat of your hard drive will not fully delete all data on it. Disk Utilities can help you out here.

3. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Yep. Just boot from the restore disc, select "Restore from Backup" and pick your TM disk and a point in time. Come back when it's done, and your Mac should be just as it was at the date and time you selected.

4. jyakimic thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! A low level will be fine... I said sensitive...but its not really double top secret or anything. My main concern is an easy restore from my (or apples) wipe of the drive.