Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trauma1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
In the past I've been able to jailbreak/unlock the previous iPhone models, and then before the next model came out I would restore and re-jailbreak to sell. The past few days I have been looking at options, but it seems a little more complicated, given my current set up. I've searched the internet and these forums, and I'm not sure what the best way to proceed is in regards to erasing all content and settings, and keeping a jailbreak. Now I'm considering one or the other.

My iPhone 4 is still on 4.1, which is several versions behind today's version. I used Limera1n, so I'm not concerned about preserving baseband. My idea was to somehow get to 4.3.3 and then use jailbreakme for an easy, untethered jailbreak. I was thinking about an iTunes update to 4.3.5, and then downgrading to 4.3.3 using redsn0w. But I as understand it, you can only downgrade to firmware for blobs which you have saved, which would be 4.1 in my case. I haven't seen anything on going from 4.3.5 all the way down to 4.1. I even thought about disconnecting from the internet and then letting iTunes restore to 4.1, but doesn't iTunes need to check the Apple server before restoring, specifically for this reason? I have no problem following a DIY if it's written clearly and specific to my needs, but I haven't come across any.

In the past it didn't seem this complicated, what with saving all these blobs and using TinyUmbrella, but then again I was pretty current with firmware. So now I'm just considering manually erasing all the apps, media, and account info to just keep the JB. I always do a full restore on anything with a hard drive before giving it to someone else, so I am concerned about not doing it this time around. Is data still easily accessible if it is just taken off the phone, and would changing passwords online be enough to protect personal info?

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
offer the buyer a choice but I'd be sure to preserve the baseband that's where the extra cash is likely to be. btw if you been saving shsh blobs then 4.3.3 will be easy and preserve the 1.59 via pwnagtools or sn0wbreeze but if not 4.3.5 for you.

Trauma1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
offer the buyer a choice but I'd be sure to preserve the baseband that's where the extra cash is likely to be.

I've already lost the 01.59.00 baseband. And I usually sell on eBay so I won't know the buyer.

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I'm jailbroken still on 4.0 with the 01.59.00 baseband and trying to somehow wipe/restore/whatever so I can sell the phone. I'm trying to keep the baseband though so I can hopefully get a higher sale price.

Can't seem to manage to get it done, but I really don't want to sell it without a wipe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.