Complete unjailbreak

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ayush20m, Aug 5, 2010.

1. ayush20m macrumors newbie

How do I completely unjailbreak my iphone so that no trace of jb is left on it

2. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

Restore as new, don't restore from backup.

3. ayush20m thread starter macrumors newbie

Can I sync my previously synced app from itunes after 'restore as new'?

4. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

Yes you can sync them back, as long as you set the phone up as new.

5. theautopilot macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

But can you reload a backup after a restore from new?

6. dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp

You can, but that would defeat the entire purpose of setting up as new!

7. theautopilot macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

I dont want to set it up as new, i just want to unjailbreak and the advice above was to restore it as new.

Why would it need to be restored as new to unjailbeak, why not just a normal restore.

8. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I've been told in the past, created a new thread earlier this week. That when you restore from a backup, it will delete everything that has to do with the jailbreak and restore your device as it was before it was jailbroken with all your stuff saved, because the OS is being reinstalled stock.

9. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

Because any backup made while your phone is jailbroken will contain traces of the jailbreak. You'd be putting them back onto the phone

10. theautopilot macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

Ok, i was not aware any system files were backed up, just user data (contacts, photos, etc).

But ok, just to be safe i will set up from new. But then can i reload a backup to get my save games etc back?

11. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

But then what was the point in setting up as new?

12. GooMan macrumors regular

GooMan

I have a saved copy of my last backup before jailbreaking my iPhone. If I restore as new then restore from that backup (pre-JB) then I should be back to original without any trace of ever doing the JB, correct?

I was under the impression I would have to do the 2 step process of restore as new then restore from pre-JB backup. Is that true or would just a restore to a pre-JB backup work to remove all traces of the JB?

Thanks.

13. dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp

Yes. And only because you saved a pre-jailbreak backup, and are restoring that backup.

14. theautopilot macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

Arrghhh! Exactly!

You dont get where i am coming from here do you. That question does not make sense in the context of what i am trying to achieve. I dont care if its set up as new or from backup, i simply want to unjailbreak to where is was last week. Thats all. Does anyone see what i am try to say here?!

15. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

I apologize, I was getting you confused with the other poster. Yes any kind of restore, even from backup, will remove the jailbreak itself.

16. kuaiyouming, Aug 5, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  17. dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp

If you jailbreak your iPhone and sync/backup in iTunes, some preferences/log files from Cydia and other jailbroken apps are backed-up as well as the normal stuff (App Store games saves, preferences, settings...)

If you restore your iPhone to stock firmware and setup your iPhone as new, there is absolutely no personal data (preferences....) on the iPhone.

If you restore your previous backup, then yes you will restore your game saves and preferences, but you will also restore the preferences from the jailbreak stuff.

That's what we've all been trying to say as far as a "complete unjailbreak" goes.

18. Snowman3459 macrumors 6502a

Ok...

When you restore your phone from a jailbreak, you CAN use a backup, and you CAN update your phone to a new iOS version. Not enough of the jailbreak is left to interfere with that.

Setting up as a new phone will delete unsaved photos as well as game saves. And all your previous backups with that device will be deleted. Be careful.

19. theautopilot macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

Ok cool, no worries. Thanks :)

20. systimax macrumors newbie

So for clarification.

If i backed up my iPhone before jailbrake and have not synced since jailbrake all I need to do is restore from backup. (Restore as new not needed)

If I have synced iPhone since jailbrake but have save a copy of my backup before post jailbrake sync I can restore from that also (Restore as new not needed)

Its only when i sync the phone post jailbrake and have no backups that are clean of jailbrake data do i need to restore as new.

Correct?

21. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

As far as I know, yes that's correct.

22. highres macrumors 6502a

highres

1. Do a Restore Factory Settings reformat.
    2. After you have restored Factory Settings, right-click next to the iPhone icon in iTunes sidebar and select Restore From Backup. Choose backup.
    3. It will then copy apps, purchases, etc. to phone, NOT any changes made to firmware like Jailbreaking.

Restoring From Backup does NOT include changes previously made to firmware like Jailbreaking, only purchases, apps, downloads, etc. so you can restore all your apps and downloads to a factory reset phone now.

23. doboy macrumors 68000

+1

However, even though this isn't a complete un-jailbreak, this will remove jailbreak apps, including Cydia. Only thing that will remain is preferences/settings of the jailbreak apps. This won't cause any issues as far as I know (from my personal experience). You just need to make sure to DFU restore to new if you ever want to take it to Apple for service.

24. GooMan macrumors regular

GooMan

Does "DFU restore to new" differ in any way from restoring to new without going into DFU?

25. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

just save your backup in another location before you jailbreak, then if you want to go back, delete your most current backup and put the old one back in there. You will need to enable hidden folders and search for it, but its there.