Complete Wi-Fi Noob

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Etrain, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Etrain macrumors 6502

Etrain

Wow, this stuff is rather confusing!

So I'm completely new to this wireless Internet thing. I'm getting a MBP Monday so I would like to setup Wi-Fi so I can browse the net around the house. Now I heard the Time Capsule would also be good as I currently don't backup . . . ever.

What do I need to know? Thanks a million! ;)

2. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

Well, all you need to know is that you are going to be so happy after getting the MBP and the Time Capsule. They work great together and when your hard drive crashes someday you won't have to worry about losing anything. My hard drive crashed earlier in July and I was really lucky to have Time Machine.

You will also have to decide whether you want a 500 GB or 1 TB Time Capsule. It is worth noting you can store other stuff if you want on it too.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

you pretty much just plug a crossover Ethernet cable from the very left ethernet port (WAN) on the Time Capsule to your router's WAN port. then open Airport Utility in the Utilities folder which is inside the Applications folder and set it up a new wireless network. it takes you thru all the steps and is very easy!

then select your Time Capsule from Time Machine preferences and begin the first backup. best to use ethernet for the first big backup as its much faster than wifi. so plug a regular ethernet cable from Time Capsule's first LAN port to your Mac and turn off Airport from your Mac's menu bar and turn on Time Machine. then do the incremental hourly backups by wifi which doesnt take long.

read the Time Capsule manual for more info. this is just a quick run-thru.