Complete Windows Guide for Mac Users

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by oldschool, Oct 3, 2007.

1. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

I've never used windows before, except a few times at my school's library. I therefore have no clue what to do in terms of virus protection, spyware, and all the rest of it.

Is there a comprehensive guide to setting it up? Does anyone have any suggestions for free or cheap virus and spyware protection?

I know it has probably been posted before, but maybe we could make this a sticky, with the basics of windows for new users, because there isn't one yet.

2. contoursvt macrumors 6502a

I personally use Microsoft Defender for malware protection and AVG free version for antivirus. The cost would end up being zero of course.

Although on my main box I dont run either because I dont go to weird or mystery sites. I dont go looking for free music or 'warez' and I dont open any mystery email attachments. So far I've been clean without the aid of 3rd party apps for 2.5 years. I do a scan once a month or so using Trend's online product which is free and thats how I know my system is clean.

If I were to wish to go to mystery sites or download things I shouldnt and if I was going to use windows, then I'd use the above.

PS. Some say defender is useless but I believe it does work, but it generally doesnt bother with little things like cookies which the others find most of the time. I think defender is targeting more serious malware.

3. jdechko macrumors 68040

Seconded on all counts. In addition, for firewall protection, I leave the MS firewall turned on, which may or may not be overkill as I'm behind a network (router / modem) nearly all the time. Anyway, as to the effectiveness of a firewall, any and all open ports (for web browsing, IM, torrents, whatever) are points of attack for a potential hacker, so even with a firewall, a properly constructed attack could theoretically piggyback legit traffic (not to scare you, but ignoring security doesn't make you any more secure) .

If you feel the need for another software firewall, Zone Alarm is (or at least used to be) good.