Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oldschool

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2003
I've never used windows before, except a few times at my school's library. I therefore have no clue what to do in terms of virus protection, spyware, and all the rest of it.

Is there a comprehensive guide to setting it up? Does anyone have any suggestions for free or cheap virus and spyware protection?

I know it has probably been posted before, but maybe we could make this a sticky, with the basics of windows for new users, because there isn't one yet.

contoursvt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
I personally use Microsoft Defender for malware protection and AVG free version for antivirus. The cost would end up being zero of course.

Although on my main box I dont run either because I dont go to weird or mystery sites. I dont go looking for free music or 'warez' and I dont open any mystery email attachments. So far I've been clean without the aid of 3rd party apps for 2.5 years. I do a scan once a month or so using Trend's online product which is free and thats how I know my system is clean.

If I were to wish to go to mystery sites or download things I shouldnt and if I was going to use windows, then I'd use the above.

PS. Some say defender is useless but I believe it does work, but it generally doesnt bother with little things like cookies which the others find most of the time. I think defender is targeting more serious malware.

I've never used windows before, except a few times at my school's library. I therefore have no clue what to do in terms of virus protection, spyware, and all the rest of it.

Is there a comprehensive guide to setting it up? Does anyone have any suggestions for free or cheap virus and spyware protection?

I know it has probably been posted before, but maybe we could make this a sticky, with the basics of windows for new users, because there isn't one yet.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
I personally use Microsoft Defender for malware protection and AVG free version for antivirus. The cost would end up being zero of course.

Seconded on all counts. In addition, for firewall protection, I leave the MS firewall turned on, which may or may not be overkill as I'm behind a network (router / modem) nearly all the time. Anyway, as to the effectiveness of a firewall, any and all open ports (for web browsing, IM, torrents, whatever) are points of attack for a potential hacker, so even with a firewall, a properly constructed attack could theoretically piggyback legit traffic (not to scare you, but ignoring security doesn't make you any more secure) .

If you feel the need for another software firewall, Zone Alarm is (or at least used to be) good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.