Completely Blank MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chrishawes91, Jun 14, 2013.

1. chrishawes91 macrumors newbie

Hi,

i have a 13inch macbook pro that is completely blank no operating system installed
    the reason for this is the guy that had it before installed windows on it (dont know why) and deleted the whole mac partition and reformatted the hard drive to windows.

i now have the hard drive formatted back to mac. i now need a way to install the mac operating system ? any ideas ?

and there was no original install discs in the box.

Please help me :(

Thanks in advance

2. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Restart and hold down command-R. It should ask to connect to a network and then it download a recovery OS from Apple. You can then format the internal drive and reinstall the OS (it will download a 4GB installer from Apple and then run it).

Forgot to say that is for a newer MBP. If it's an older model that won't work and you will need to get physical media for it.

3. chrishawes91 thread starter macrumors newbie

this doesn't work as the hard drive is completely clear it is as if it has never had an os on it.

it will enter target mode though would the easiest way to install it be to connect it to another macbook and target mode it ?

will that work ?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

What year is the machine? If it is a newer machine the command-r will work from firmware even if there is no OS on the machine at all. Have you tried it?

What version OS are you trying to get to? You could use a friends machine and login to the app store with your AppleID then buy Mt. Lion and stop the installer after the DL completes, then use the installer to make your own USB key installer with an 8GB USB key and this free utility. Make sure your machine can run Mt. Lion first though.

Or, as you said, if you have access to another machine you could use target disk mode to copy the disk from that machine.

5. chrishawes91 thread starter macrumors newbie

yer i tried command r with no luck, i did try the usb key install of my own mac copied it onto usb key and thats how i reformatted the hard drive back.

but when it tried to install mountain lion it got so far and then failed due to not being able to download additional parts.

i think the easiest way will be to target mode ? at least then i can wipe what i don't need and start from scratch

6. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Sounds like you are trying to do this with no network connection? Is there an Apple store near you? Go there and they will help you out.