Completely dazed and confused

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mac dummie, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Mac dummie macrumors newbie

I've just about had it with the world of PC's. I recently purchased a Compaq laptop and in a few months it's totally bogged down with spyware, etc. I was also just upgraded to Vista on my office system and have never been so frustrated. This has led me to the world of Mac and I need some advice. I'd like to start slow and buy a small used system, but I'm so unaware of the terminology that I'm overwhelmed. Can anyone give me advice on a strong laptop that will do basic computing, email, word processing, photoshop, CD and DVD burning, wireless and travel well? I've seen iBooks for around $300, but they all have varying degrees of processor speeds, HD sizes, some w/ DVD burners somewithout... Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

What's your budget? With the recent switch to Intel processors, you are probably better off investing in a MacBook. You can find one of the older Core Duo models on eBay for about $800.

3. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

Don't know what you budget is, but might be worth looking at the Refurb section on Apple's Store. Good luck with your purchase.

4. jordygreen macrumors 6502

jordygreen

Ye check out apple refurb store if not i recommend unvesting in an Intel machine as its better in the long run.

5. rainydays macrumors 6502a

Try finding a refurbished MacBook at Apple Store.
    I personally would never buy a used laptop as you never know what they've been through, even though they might look fresh on the outside.

Why start slow really? It usually gets more expensive in the long run to do that.
    I'd recommend buying a new or refurbished MacBook with a superdrive.
    You won't regret it. I promise you that.

6. Mac dummie thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the insight. I've pretty much decided on the macbook, but there aren't any available on the Apple refurb page. My next question relates to the new OS just announced. Is it worth waiting for that to come (Oct. I think) or dive in and upgrade later?

7. BenHoleton macrumors regular

Buy now. You won't regret it. Infact, I usually recommend waiting for 10.5.1 or .2, instead of buying Leopard when it first comes out. They'll get all the kinks worked out that way, so you're likely looking at January. And refurbs (usually) appear on Tuesdays, so check first thing Tuesday morning. Also, since they just updated the MB's, you can usually find new models of the last rrevision starting at $950-$1000

8. Igantius macrumors 65816

Seconded!