completely dead iPhone 3G not sure how to fix

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jinxednuance, Jul 6, 2011.

1. jinxednuance macrumors regular

So I had my iPhone for two years, it was working perfect with Fido (Canadian carrier) as I had gotten it from there.

Since I moved out of Canada, I unlocked it and jailbroke it. It worked fine with my new sim.

I got the iPhone 4 so I gave my friend this one. I did a Factory reset and wiped everything. It said it would take about 2 hours and it took much much longer. I tried resetting it and now every time I turn it on it says plug in iTunes, iTunes suggest a restore which I do but it always fails towards the end. Any help?

2. ylerT macrumors regular

ylerT

What firmware are you trying to restore to and is it giving you any error numbers?

3. itsalexaye macrumors regular

just upgrade to iphone 4 or buy a cheap phone to get you thru til the iPhone 5 comes out.

4. 2ndchancephones macrumors regular

if you did a restore after JB'ing it and unlocking it you wiped out the JB and Unlock.

5. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

Sounds like you did a normal restore, which leaves some files from the jailbreak on the phone, you need to do a DFU restore to fully restore to factory condition. Google that to see how its done, you gotta hold down the power key and home button in a specific order to get into that mode.

6. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

A restore should never take two hours. Mine take 15 minutes, at the very longest. My advice would be to put the phone in DFU mode and do another restore and see if you can get it working.

That is incorrect. Whether you put the phone in DFU mode before a restore, or you simply click the 'Restore' button, the process that takes place is the exact same and you end up with exactly the same result. The only time that jailbreak files can potentially "stick around" is when you sync to a jailbroken backup after the restore, and even then, it won't hurt the phone any.