Completely Deleting Photos in Aperture

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mr9758, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Mr9758 macrumors regular

I've been using Aperture 2 for a while now and have accumulated quite a few photos. I deleted (using cmd-del) nearly a thousand photos in one folder a few days ago, but after scanning my Aperture albums with WhatSize, it shows that that folder still contains 2.2 GB (I confirmed this through Finder). These photos were stored in the Aperture library and there are only approximately 20 left in that project... so why is it still occupying that much space?

2. cosmokanga2 macrumors 6502a

cosmokanga2

Aperture moves the deleted photos to a folder in the Trash. Try emptying the trash.

Also right-click "show contents" on the Aperture library and see what is still in there.

3. Mr9758 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply. There are tons of folders nestled within other folders, but one of the culprits seems to be a file named AP.Thumbnails that is 634 MB. I right clicked on the project and selected Delete Previews for Project, then Update Previews for Project, but the offending file hasn't changed.

4. cosmokanga2 macrumors 6502a

cosmokanga2

This might help. Taken from dpreview.

Also, in Aperture's preference, you can set the size/quality of thumbnails/previews. This might help reduce their size.

5. Mr9758 thread starter macrumors regular

I attempted to move the photos from the problem project to a new one, then delete the project they were originally in and rename their new project. This lead to the maroon screen and "Unsupported image format" error message when attempting to view certain photos. There was a trick that involved changing the viewing perspective, but it did not keep the problem from coming back. This must have been a preexisting problem, because despite mucking with the Aperture package I didn't delete or move anything (in Finder). Hopefully this will be resolved by rebuilding the library (hold option-cmd when opening Aperture). What have I learned? Aperture isn't as reliable as I once thought. Time Machine is your friend. And Lacie/Amazon made another couple hundred dollars.

6. Mr9758 thread starter macrumors regular

The library rebuilt itself successfully. There were a few missing pictures (weird :confused:) and a small project with an amalgamation of photos from other projects seems to have been disconnected from the masters. I'd highly recommend that any Aperture user rebuild his/her library once in a while, as it seems to run considerably faster.

7. pprior macrumors 65816

Sadly this sort of behavior (the red box with unsupported file, etc) is what caused me to leave aperture for Lightroom. I loved aperture's ease of use, but found it just too unstable over 2 years of use. I hope your problems resolve, but I think Apple needs to put some people working on their pro apps instead of spending every company resource on worthless iphone games.