Completely freaked out. WTH just happened?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aigoya, Jun 15, 2010.

1. aigoya macrumors member

I was on my 13" 2010mbp, which I've had for less than 3 weeks.

I was checking some mails, watching some streaming videos, then i hear a whirring noise and my mac just turned off!.

Currently using an external monitor/keyboard/mouse. At first i thought the power went out, but realized the external monitor turned on the 'sleep mode' light on. The charger connected to my mac was still showing orange for charging.

What just happened there! Should I be worried?

(I know for a fact that software update didn't restart my computer because I'm updating now, and because I received no notification warning prompting restart.

2. Bankaimadness macrumors 6502

Overheating?

3. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

I assume it turns back on since you mention the updates.

Doesn't sound like a significant issue if it was just the one time. If it continues to occur, then yes it is a problem - probably overheating (if you use it on a solid surface with unobstructed airflow, emails and streaming video shouldn't overheat your computer).

Could also be related to the battery somehow?

4. Reapur macrumors regular

Steve Balmer and Bill Gates were smoking a bowl together and hacked into your MBP to turned it off for funzieeeees! :eek:

5. aigoya thread starter macrumors member

I wasn't been using it more than 10 minutes. It was in sleep the whole day. After I installed the software update for the new osx update and restarted, I noticed that the right status bar was blank. It had absolutely nothing. After another restarted it showed up normally. I've done worse with my mac and it has never shut off like that. Air flow is clean due to my mstand. I highly doubt it shut down due to heat because the fans weren't blaring.

6. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Bring it into apple store.. They will diagnose and fix.

7. aigoya thread starter macrumors member

Wondering if they can even diagnose something that is probably extremely hard to reproduce.

I will give them a call later and poke around first i guess.