completely free apps that can convert to different movie formats

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sossity, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Sossity macrumors 65816

I have been told to try converting my .mpg movies files my digicam makes to DV for imovie since it will not imort or "see" the movie files.

would this be the best thing to do? what free apps are out there that can convert to many formats, including mpeg-2 to another for free?

2. coasterider macrumors regular

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

4. Bruce.Lee macrumors newbie

Bruce.Lee

Try out Adapter , it can easily convert any video format to any other format and is completely free.

Good luck.

5. Sossity thread starter macrumors 65816

I downloaded mpeg stream, & tried it on one of my movie clips, it seemed to work, I exported it to DV, I was not sure about all the settings in the window, I chose NTSC for US TV, with aspect ratio at 4:3, & chose the 1st DV out of the drop down options. the original movie files are not high def, so I did not think they needed to be converted to this format.

I opened imovie again, & this time it let me import the DV converted clips.

I did a quick look at the original .mpg movie files; in snowleopard;
    they were: 640 x 480, mpeg 2, layer 1, & my camera takes these at 2 quality settings; "fine" at 30 fps, (where the movement is more fluid like real life) and "standard" at 25 fps (movement not quite fluid but definitely watchable)

6. khaled84 macrumors newbie

quicktime pro

this is probably irrelevant but i am new to these forums...
    i have purchased the quicktime pro 7 to be able to speed up my films but after saving my clips with the speed i want and taking them to imovie '08 (which doesnt have the feature of manipulating film speed) they would play with their original speed...

any idea how to take the clips to imovie from quicktime player with the updated playback speed?

thanks
    khaled

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Did you mean this?

[​IMG]

It does not make your movie faster, it just plays it back faster, or have you saved the movie after applying 2x playback speed and the resulting file was playing back faster, even though the playback speed was set to 1x in the A/V Controls?

8. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Just FYI, I think imovie '09 allows speed manipulation.