Completely Frustrated Can't Find Lion Download

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by rocknblogger, Feb 24, 2012.

1. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I re-downloaded Lion this evening because I want to make a bootable thumb drive. I can see it in Launchpad and in my dock but for the life of me I can't find the actual installer anywhere on my Macbook Pro. I know it's supposed to be in Applications folder but I must have searched through 10 times. It's not there.

Any ideas?

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Have you tried double-clicking this icon?

[​IMG]

What do you mean by installer?

3. LiesForTheLiars macrumors regular

4. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Read about creating a bootable drive here, it will list the directory as well.

5. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Yes I tried searching with spotlight every way imaginable. It finds nothing. I read the article one of you guys posted and I was aware of everything in it.

Basically if you download Lion, the installer downloads to the Applications folder. Once you install Lion it self destructs so to speak.

Like I said before. I can see it in Launchpad and in my Dock, but I can't find the actual 4GB Lion file anywhere.

6. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

If you right-click on the icon in the Dock and select Options->Show in Finder what happens? Does Finder open showing the downloaded Lion installer?

7. LiesForTheLiars macrumors regular

You might need to download it again, unfortunately.

8. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

He has explained that this is the second time he has downloaded. He shouldn't have to download again.

As suggested above, please right-click the icon in the Dock and click Show in Finder.

What happens if you try to launch it from the Launchpad or Dock?

9. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I had already tried right click show in finder and nothing happens. Finder doesn't open at all. I tried rebooting just for giggles and it didn't make a difference. It's as if I didn't download it at all. Yet if I click either Icon the installation screen does open.

10. Partron22 macrumors 68020

Partron22

Have you tried rebooting? Finder has a bug that sometimes prevents file icons from showing up properly. LogOut/In or reboot fixes it.

In my 'Applications' folder, I have:
    "Install OS X Mountain Lion Preview 1.app"
    You should find something like:
    "Install OS X Lion.app"

11. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Have you tried dragging from the Dock to the desktop ?

12. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Yes, you can't drag to the desktop but you can to the Dock. But it only creates a shortcut icon in the Dock.

I'm going to try to download it again and see what happens. The problem is that if I can't find it that means I'll more than likely have two Lion installers taking up 8GB of space.

I wonder if it's putting it on a separate (Recovery) partition now instead of the Applications folder??

13. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I figured out what was going on. I had saved the original 10.7 installation file to an external drive. Evidently MAS new that I moved the file from the Applications folder to the external drive so it was overwriting that original file.

When I ejected the drive the icons no longer brought up the installation screen which confirmed my suspicions. Now I'm downloading it again and I can already see it in the Applications folder.

Thanks everyone who tried to help!!