Completely frustrated - Unibody Macbook Pro Sleep issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spartanforever, Jun 20, 2009.

1. spartanforever macrumors newbie

I have a late 08 uMBP and i've been completely frustrated with its sleep patterns. I expected a joyride into the world of mac, but this has been such a pain. I was trying to convince myself that this really cant be an issue, must be something i was doing wrong, but I'm fed up now.

So here's the issue:

After I'm done working with my Mac, i close the lid and expect my mbp to go to sleep. But here's where it becomes really tricky:

On a good day, my MBP will behave and go to sleep.

On its bad days (and very often recently), it'll go to sleep for a second, and and then I hear a whirring sound, and the apple logo starts glowing. Ok - fine - maybe its just doing its own thing, but then I see the logo turn off, and my sleep blinker slowly fades away. But wait, I hear that whirring sound again and the process repeats about 4 times, and then the apple logo is forever glowing. I can see from the side that the monitor is also on.

Then naturually, I open the lid to find out whats going on but lo and behold, the damn thing has frozen. Can't move the mouse, or type in from the keyboard. My only option is a hard shutdown, or connect my usb mouse to click and restart - which works by way.

I've restarted my mac at least 25 times in the last 25 days of ownership - that can't be good, right? I've also tried various hibernation modes but all the same.

I don't know if my MBP is defective, or if this is a common problem. Anybody have any suggestion apart from calling Appplecare? (which i'm calling ).

Do other 2008 2.53 ghz uMBP owners have similar issues?

thanks!!

2. PolySciSurfer macrumors 6502

I would take it in to Apple. This can be dangerous if you leave it in a bag all day, some users have reported opening their bag to a smoldering hot MBP, because it was active with no ventilation. Here is what you should do...

DO NOT PUT YOUR COMPUTER TO SLEEP WHEN IT'S GOING TO REMAIN IN A BAG OR SLEEVE.

From now on SHUT IT DOWN COMPLETELY. Then go see Apple, and describe the issue to them.