Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
Hey guys, I am completely new to OS X Lion as this is my first ever Mac (Macbook Air) and I'm wondering what kind of advice you can give to me to help me out. Any help would be appreciated so much!!!

Thanks in advance guys!!!

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
^^^ This. I know quick responses like that with nothing but a link are often annoying, but that's seriously the most in depth help you'll find.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
Well I appreciate it (the link) and I am hoping I can learn the in's and outs of this OS like I did with Windows. Still, if anyone wants to throw some little did bits out there I'll gladly read them and thank you.

Thanks again!!

----------

I'm actually wondering one certain question, I received an email with a picture in it, how do I save that picture to iPhoto?? It's not an attachment, it's just a picture in the email. Any help would be great!

----------

Also, how do I get the "Macintosh HD" icon on the desktop?? I can't figure it out to save my life and it's probably so easy! Uhhh, learning curve!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Well I appreciate it (the link) and I am hoping I can learn the in's and outs of this OS like I did with Windows. Still, if anyone wants to throw some little did bits out there I'll gladly read them and thank you.
That link is filled with "little did bits" and useful information. That's why I created it, so I wouldn't have to type it all every time the question is asked. You'll likely find answers to most of your questions there.
I'm actually wondering one certain question, I received an email with a picture in it, how do I save that picture to iPhoto?? It's not an attachment, it's just a picture in the email. Any help would be great!
Drag the picture from your email and drop it on the iPhoto icon on the Dock or to an open iPhoto window.
Also, how do I get the "Macintosh HD" icon on the desktop?? I can't figure it out to save my life and it's probably so easy! Uhhh, learning curve!
Finder > Preferences > General > Show these items on the Desktop:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Edit: Questions already answered by time I posted, Wouldn't let me delete post.
It happens all the time. It's ok to leave your answers. If you want a post deleted, use the report post
report.gif
icon and ask a moderator to delete it. Or you can contribute to MR Forums and gain the ability to delete your own posts.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
Thats the weird thing, I don't have the preferences option in Finder, so what to do now??

----------

PS: Thank you for answering the iPhoto question for me!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thats the weird thing, I don't have the preferences option in Finder, so what to do now??
Sure you do. Click on the Finder icon on your Dock (left side of the Dock). Then in your Menu Bar at the top of the screen (next to the  on the left side of the Menu Bar), click Finder > Preferences. Or you can just click once on your Desktop and press the Command key and the comma (Command-,).

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
Ahhh yes, I found it...I'm still getting used to having those preferences at the top of the screen when an application is open. I'm still in Windows mode I think :(

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Ahhh yes, I found it...I'm still getting used to having those preferences at the top of the screen when an application is open. I'm still in Windows mode I think :(
It takes some time to make the adjustment between Windows and Mac functionality, but the transition is worth it. I encourage you to look at the resources in the first link I posted, which can help you learn your way around using Macs.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
I'm definitely reading the info in the link you posted, its great! However, there is some things that I'm not finding.

I set up my mail, and for some reason all my notes from my iPhone show up in the inbox and I'm not sure why...would you know why this is happening?? If I delete them will they all delete from my phone? They also show up under the notes category in mail.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I set up my mail, and for some reason all my notes from my iPhone show up in the inbox and I'm not sure why...would you know why this is happening?? If I delete them will they all delete from my phone? They also show up under the notes category in mail.
I don't use an iPhone, so I can't help you there. You might try searching the iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting forum for existing threads that might answer your question. You'll find that most questions you can think of have been asked and answered dozens or hundreds or thousands of times in the forum. Searching is a quick way to find answers without posting and waiting for responses.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
Yeah man, I've been a member of this forum for a long time obviously before I got my Macbook Air I just stayed in the iPhone and iPad forums but now since I have the MBA and Lion I can spread to these parts of the forum.

I did a search and didn't find anything so I guess it's not a real big issue, I'm sure ill figure something out.

Joos24

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2011
Yeah man, I've been a member of this forum for a long time obviously before I got my Macbook Air I just stayed in the iPhone and iPad forums but now since I have the MBA and Lion I can spread to these parts of the forum.

I did a search and didn't find anything so I guess it's not a real big issue, I'm sure ill figure something out.

I've been on the Mac since System 8 so I've been through major changes in the system. I'm going to give you the most helpful advice in regards to you starting out on Mac OS X, coming from Windows. The advice is don't look at this as a "learning curve". What seems to be the obvious "IS". Just do what you normally do on Windows. For example, I would like to think that you would just drag the picture in your email to desktop or the photo editing program of your choice in Windows as you would do in Mac. That really shouldn't be any different.
Most of the basic stuff is the same. You go into the Finder as you would do Explorer and drag your files or cut n paste them to the places you want them.
What you'll find different and far easier and IMO more superior is the way Macs install applications. Again, no learning curve. Upon installation, most of the developers show a static picture of where to drag your new application and it self-installs.

Some of the features on your iPhone are on your new Mac so you should be familiar with those features. As for the rest, you should do yourself a big service and try and figure it out as you did in Windows. You shouldn't need anyone to really walk you through.
You might want to come here for software recommendations but running the system should be something you should try and learn. I'm 99.9% sure that within a month you'll say that it was much easier than you thought. It can't be hard to learn, you already have an iPhone. :)

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
Good advice Joos, I'm just going to handle things as they come and I am sure I can learn it, hell I learned Windows all by myself so I can learn Lion by myself as well.

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
... except you can't cut and paste files in Finder.

Not in the way you think, but the core functionality is there. It's worded differently. I Find it easier to just drag files around.

The notes made on an iPhone always show up in Mail, unless you turn it off in Mail Preferences.

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
In what way is the functionality there? I welcome enlightenment on this.

From the archives,
hansr said:
It doesn't work the same way in the older versions but the Finder has had this since 10.3.8 (not 10.4.8) it was just disabled, to enable just run this in the terminal and restart the Finder:

defaults write com.apple.finder AllowCutForItems 1

To add the shortcut:
Go to System Preferences
KeyBoard & Mouse
KeyBoard Shotcut
In this windows press + on left botton
All Applications
Menu Title:Cut
KeyBoard Shortcut:command+X
OK

The difference is that this gives you cut and then you paste versus the other one doing copy and then move instead of paste.
Link to entire archived thread

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I just tried that, using the exact steps. When I clicked on a file in Finder and pressed Command-X, it moved the item to the Trash. When I go to another folder to paste, the item isn't available to paste. If you read the rest of that thread, you'll find that method does not work.

Back to square one: You can't cut and paste files in Finder, with one possible exception: Supposedly Command-Option-V will paste and delete the copied file in Finder in Lion, but not in Snow Leopard or earlier versions. I haven't tested this, so I can't verify it works.

10.7: Cut and Paste files in Finder

Last edited:

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
I just tried that, using the exact steps. When I clicked on a file in Finder and pressed Command-X, it moved the item to the Trash. When I go to another folder to paste, the item isn't available to paste. If you read the rest of that thread, you'll find that method does not work.

Back to square one: You can't cut and paste files in Finder.

It works for me on. I'm not using the shortcuts though. But the right clicking does work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.