Completely original 3GS - how to jailbreak/unlock?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by mchas, May 8, 2011.

1. mchas macrumors newbie

Forgive me for asking this because I am sure everyone creates new threads, but I swear I searched around for a long time and am more confused now than when I started... :)

I have an iPhone 3GS that I bought new and haven't upgraded anything yet. I'd like to get iOS4 on it, but I don't want to lose the ability to unlock it. I currently have iOS 3.0.1 and baseband 4.26.08. I also have an older version of iTunes (9.0.1.8)

What is the best plan of action here? How can I get iOS4 and keep my old baseband to unlock it? Jailbreak would be nice too while I am at it...

Thanks in advance - I appreciate the help!

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

technically u need to be jailbroken to be unlock3d. Download the latest pwnage tool from the dev team and cook your custom IPSW. Install ultrasnow from cydia afterwards.

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

4. mchas thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies so far. I should also add that I am using a PC... the tutorials on iClarified look like they are mainly for macs? Can someone point me at the right tutorial for me to use?

5. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

pwnage tool is for Mac only. If you have windows, then use sn0wbreeze. You can go to redmondpie.com for its tutorial.

6. mchas thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you - that was very helpful!

One more question: It sounds like, since I have a 3GS, in order to unlock with Ultrasn0w, I have to first upgrade to the 06.15.00 iPad baseline? Is that true? And if so I will lose GPS functionality?

Is there another way to unlock without doing that?

7. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

U only need the iPads BB if u have the later unlockable bands.

8. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

No, this is not true. Since your phone current baseband is 04.26.08 which can be unlocked by ultrasn0w, by using sn0wbreeze to upgrade your phone to current firmware without upgrading the baseband. Therefore, your phone will have 4.3.3 firmware with 04.26.08 baseband which is worked with ultrasn0w and your GPS is fine as well.

9. mchas thread starter macrumors newbie

OK thanks, I was basing that assumption on this, from the Redmondpie.com site:

For iPhone 3GS Only: How to Update iPhone 3GS to 06.15.00 Baseband for Unlock:
    Ultrasn0w 1.2.x unlocking requires that your iPhone 3GS is jailbroken with 06.15.00 baseband. Follow the complete guide posted here (with PwnageTool) or here (for Redsn0w) to update your iPhone 3GS baseband to 06.15.00 and jailbreak it on iOS 4.1 / 4.2.1 before proceeding with the following steps.

So to be sure I am doing the right thing before I go and screw this up... here is what I plan on doing. Please correct me if I am wrong:

1) Downloading iOS 4.3.3 from Apple, Sn0wbreeze 2.7, iTunes 10.2.2, and ultrasn0w 1.2.3
    2) Installing latest version of iTunes
    3) Running Sn0wbreeze to modify the IPSW file I downloaded from Apple, which should preserve my old baseband
    4) Restore modified IPSW file from iTunes
    5) Unlock using ultrasn0w

Sound right? Thanks again, this is all confusing for someone hearing it for the first time.

10. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

That is correct. Once you run sn0wbreeze, it will create a customs firmware file and put it on your desktop where you can use it to put onto your phone.

11. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

These steps are correct IF you want to update your baseband. You will need to check your baseband then search and see if it's unlockable. If it isn't then you will need to update your baseband to iPad's then unlock. If your baseband can already be unlock without updating it then just use unlock with ultrasn0w.

12. mchas thread starter macrumors newbie

Already ran into a problem :( Was trying to go into DFU mode to see if I have an old or new bootrom, and the phone got stuck on the Apple logo. It looks like the only way I can fix this is to have iTunes to a restore? Problem is, it wants to do a restore and an update. If I do that, I can't keep my old baseband, correct?

What do I do?

13. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Try a hard reset, the phone should be back to normal.

14. mchas thread starter macrumors newbie

Doesn't a hard reset require having iTunes restore the phone? If not, what exactly do I need to do?

Thank you again!

Edit - nevermind, I let the phone sit there with the Apple logo on for about 5 minutes and it came back. Better back it up via iTunes before I go try anything else. :)

15. AsianChexMix macrumors regular

It won't matter? I updated to 4.3.2 (the latest at the time) since I knew I had to unlock it using the iPad BB. Jailbreak first and then unlock it.

16. mchas thread starter macrumors newbie

Want to thank you all again - just finished this process, and I now have a jailbroken/unlocked phone running 4.3.3 with my original baseband!

17. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Glad to hear. I was driving home back from Portland, OR and can't check any post, but it's seen like you figure out what to do. :)