Completely overwhelmed by iPhone 4 cases

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by splitpea, Nov 9, 2011.

1. splitpea macrumors 6502a

There seem to be a zillion out there. Is there any website that will let you narrow them down automatically by feature, price, color, material, etc, and read reviews?

2. diane143, Nov 9, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2011

diane143 macrumors 6502a

iLounge has some great reviews. But some of the cases I was interested in were not on there. Also not sure you can narrow them down the way you want, but you can sort by rating.

3. thedward macrumors newbie

I totally know what you mean, it is crazy! I am in your same boat looking for a case for my wife. This site just posted a good youtube video and seem have a great system for searching for a particular case. It isnt in price but looks like on the side of the site page, you can search that way as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGzCLTmXlcY The link to the page on the site is http://www.outfityours.com/iphone-4s/

4. OMGbrandon macrumors 6502

OMGbrandon

5. splitpea thread starter macrumors 6502a

There's a reason Apple only offers a couple products in each line. It's called "choice paralysis" IIRC.

Honestly, I really don't even know where to start.

6. diane143 macrumors 6502a

This is why my phone is still naked!

7. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

It's amazing how I become a Case-a-holic when I get a new iPhone!

It starts out with something cheap...but then I want something more protective...so I decide to get the Otterbox Commuter...but, man, they have so many colors! So I get two so I can interchange the silicone and plastic shells. Then I see another color and another combination just waiting to happen...so I buy another one. :D

Then there's today...I walk into Radio Shack, just to browse their case selection, and what do I see? Yet ANOTHER Commuter I haven't seen in person! It's the blue silicone one with the darker blue shell! Man, that blue silicone would look slick with the black shell! So, what do I do? I buy ANOTHER one!!! :rolleyes:

Oh, wait...not done. While I'm looking, I see this case I haven't spied before. It's the Incipio Delta. And it's on sale for $9.99!!! Whelp...guess that one's gotta go home with me too!!! :eek:

It's a sickness. I swear it is. And the only cure for it is...more cowbell. :p

8. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

Like someone said on here once, " you have to spend a ton of money on cases for you to realize you don't really need one "

9. thedward macrumors newbie

10. splitpea thread starter macrumors 6502a

So you're not worried about your phone getting broken or scratched if you drop it? Also, I live in a big city and would sort of prefer to cover up the big shiny Apple logo so as not to advertise that I'm carrying a really expensive mug-me phone. I couldn't care less about the fashion aspects of a case.

11. Brad02 macrumors regular

Were did you pick up the Delta for $9.99? Radio Shack?

12. iphonenub macrumors regular

A good place to start looking for cases is the apple website or at an apple store. Generally, if it is on apple's site and it isn't made by apple it's worth looking at. Plus, there are tons of user reviews on the popular cases.

13. pdxa4 macrumors 6502

14. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Start with a list of what's important to you instead of trying to consider every possible case out there. If you shop with your approach you'll always be overwhelmed. Figure out your priorities and that will narrow down the choices for you.

15. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

I have 13 iPhone cases right now. I've been eyeing up that white Vapor Pro for my white phone, but I finally promised my husband I wouldn't buy any more until a redesigned iPhone comes out. I'm pretty sure he almost had a heart attack every time I had something different on my phone.

16. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

Just got with the pixel skin HD, that was one of the hottest cases for the phone 4.

17. THE JUICEMAN macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

And here I was thinking that I was the only one! I have had so many cases its crazy. But I am different than you because I return them! LOL

18. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I responded to your PM, but I'll put it here in case someone wanted to know. Yeah, I got it at Radio Shack. They're either having a sale on the Delta or a clearance...I can't remember which. But it's one heck of a good case if you like the Commuter. Great protection and less than 1/3 of the price! :D

----------

Hahaha...oh, I return some of them too, believe me!

I didn't realize just how many I had for my 3GS until I started gathering everything together to sell it. I had like 10 cases outright, and that didn't include the 5 different colored shells I had for the Commuter alone...lol.

Seriously...it's like a crack addition for me...lol. :D

19. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Give Case Crown cases a look. Very form fitting. They sell them on eBay for about half of their MSRP.

20. splitpea thread starter macrumors 6502a

The problem is finding a place where you *can* narrow down the options without having to read reviews about 300 different cases. And if you ask here for "what case should I look at with XYZ properties" people just say "look at all the other threads reviewing cases" -- but there's nothing summarizing good cases for anything but the most common or vague requirements.

Or worse, for helping you figure out what you need. (Have you ever seen a case that *wasn't* claimed to be "stylish" and "protective"?)

21. Prototypical macrumors 6502

Prototypical

This is one of my personal favorites. I went to the "editor's choice" section and found exactly what I needed (Magpul Exec was my choice). I agree with OMGBrandon, the options (while overwhelming) are great. Coming from Android, where the phones become "the previous model" before you can even get home from the carrier store, case options aren't nearly as prevalent. With Apple you really can pick exactly what you want / need.

Honestly, splitpea, these forums help too. Just search (or ask the group) for what you want and that can give you a place to start. I found a half-dozen cases that sounded interesting, and then dug through the blogs like the one above to figure out which one did well. Thus, the Magpul.

22. stevendphoto macrumors member

Another problem is the retailers like to say any 4 case will work on a 4S and that is not always true...

The mute switch is in a different location

23. vaugha macrumors regular

Hahaha. Had a good laugh reading this. I've been there but w/ a more expensive audiophile hobby. At least cases don't cost a couple of grands like headphones. :eek: