Completely purge MS RDC from OS X 10.6?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jmpage2, Sep 18, 2012.

1. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Hey all, I'm hoping someone here can help, as I'm wracking my brain and failing at every turn.

My wife has a 2009 27" MBP with SL. She uses remote desktop to access a MS Windows machine. Starting a couple of months ago apparently, this stopped working. Whenever she logs into the remote machine and tries to access an application she gets a log in error. If she physically walks up to that computer, everything works fine. If she uses RDC on my iMac, everything works fine. If she uses RDC from her Parallels XP VM, everything works fine.

I figure that something with RDC is hosed up, so I've tried using app zapper... but even after doing this I can see that some RDC settings have survived.

How can I completely purge RDC to either fix the problem or at least eliminate it from being the possible source of the issue?

Thanks.

2. jmpage2 thread starter macrumors 68030

jmpage2

OK, so I've proven that the problem is with MS RDC, I just downloaded CoRd and it's working, so now I just need to know how to 100% purge MS RDC since clearly it's jacked up and uninstall/reinstall the normal way is not cutting it.

3. jmpage2 thread starter macrumors 68030

jmpage2

*bump*

I'm still looking for some info on how to truly purge/clean this application from my wife's Mac. Damn Microsoft.

4. mfram macrumors 65816

5. jmpage2 thread starter macrumors 68030

jmpage2

That does not work. After dragging the application to the Trash (or using App Zapper to get rid of it) when you re-install it there are clearly settings and preferences that still exist on the Mac, as evidenced by the fact that it remembers the last machine I logged into.

For certain, the RDC application has remembered settings or something and these appear to be causing my wife a problem, as she can't run a connected app on the remote machine when connected with RDC, but can do so using RDC on my iMac. When I installed Cord on her MBP everything ran fine with it too.... so I'm just trying to figure out what other settings, plists, etc, are in use by the RDC so I can clean it up fully and possibly re-install it successfully at some time in the future.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

In most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

7. jmpage2 thread starter macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Thanks, I will look into this. I know that RDC is part of the MS Office suite and probably does some things during install that most apps don't.

The only other thing I know is that using RDC to access this remote machine and run her application software on that machine fails 100% of the time with RDC on her Mac but works from every other machine. I've tried deleting entries from the keychain, etc, and I have not been able to clear the problem... which is a first for me when working with a Mac.

For all I know she accidentally jacked up some RDC setting with mapping remote drives or running remote programs and every time I re-install RDC those settings are still present. She does not know what she did that hosed it up (of course).

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

FWIW, for remote access to both Macs and PCs, I use TeamViewer, which is free for personal use and works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and quite simple to set up and use (no messing around with ports), which comes in handy if providing remote support to those who aren't very computer literate. You can talk them through the setup on their end and be connected to them in less than a minute. I prefer it over LogMeIn because it includes free file transfers between computers, a feature I use frequently.