Completely Remove App

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by cclloyd, Feb 1, 2012.

1. cclloyd macrumors 68000

cclloyd

So, I broke an app, it won't load.

When you delete an app (from app store), does it remove EVERYTHING related to the app (if I choose to remove any gamecenter info with it)?

And if not, is there a Cydia app that can completely remove an app?

2. LaZyFLiP macrumors regular

When you delete an App Store app, it'll completely remove it. No other steps neccessary.

You most likely have a conflicting Cydia app causing your App Store app not to load. (Unless you went around and messed with the app within the Applications folder)

3. heyyitzmelissa macrumors 6502

That's because you downloaded a cracked version of the app that wasn't cracked properly.

You forgot to mention the app is pirated.

4. cclloyd thread starter macrumors 68000

cclloyd

No it is not. I bought it on iTunes. I find it kind of offended that you instantly assume I pirated it :/

Untitled-1.png

And as far as I can remember, I didn't mess with the app.

5. HiDEF, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012

HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

heyyitzmelissa is infamous for this; I too was wrongly accused by her of pirating apps. :mad:

I'm sure she means no harm but it does get old when it's the same person constantly policing.

6. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

Now, in her defense, if you are using other apps that might be pirated, it could cause the App store to act funny or even cause crashes.

7. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

No it wouldn't...

----
    To the OP: I'm pretty sure it deletes all data, have you had any success yet? A reboot perhaps?

8. docgerrard macrumors 6502

lol oooooh watch out for the internet police

you are ridiculous

9. heyyitzmelissa macrumors 6502

Are you trying to pirate in app purchases? Devs are catching on to iAP Cracker. Using that in a protected app causes crashes too.

10. cclloyd thread starter macrumors 68000

cclloyd

Let's get this straight here. I never hacked/modded any game where I would normally have to pay for the feature/app. That means no cracked iAP, no cracked apps, no pirated anything.

11. Tekblade macrumors newbie

Something left behind?

Hi, I was trying to find out some info about making sure an app is removed and here is why.

I installed tree world on my ipad for my son... he wouldnt' stop bugging me to play it, so I installed it on his ipod and got my ipad back. I removed it from my ipad and several days later installed it again. After it was installed, it had all the data (stages and critters) that he had when I deleted it, so some info must have been left behind. I even did tests of removing it again and then installing it, but before starting the app, I put my ipad in airplane mode and still the old information was there.

And before the pirate police start complaining, its a free app, I don't know how to pirate other than squint and say arrrr!

Thanks for any help in advance!

12. labman, Jun 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2012

labman macrumors 604

labman

well heyyitzmelissa here got banned it took a while however no need to worry about her spin on things. that said I'm not sure how to solve your problems except contact Apple and ask them about it since it certainly shouldn't reinstall it's self..

13. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

That is completely normal behavior. While it does indeed uninstall the app, it does leave behind app data like settings, game saves, etc. This is also true for cydia apps. You can remove a cydia tweak and then later on go back and install it and all of the settings will be exactly how they were before you removed it. (I noticed this awhile back and coincidentally, just before seeing your post, I removed the latest bitesms beta version because it was chewing through my battery, rebooted my phone, deleted the beta repo, and installed the latest public release and all my settings are exactly the same.)

After removing an app, you can use iFile to navigate to the old application folder and you'll see these files still there. If you want absolutely no trace of an app, after you delete the app you need to use iFile or SSH into your phone and manually delete the remaining folders and files.

FYI, whenever you restore as new, all of these files are completely wiped off the phone. I am not sure what happens if you restore from backup since I've never done that. I always restore as new. Hope this helps!

14. Barneygumble47 macrumors regular

And before the pirate police start complaining, its a free app, I don't know how to pirate other than squint and say arrrr!

This is funny well done, I gotta remember that.

15. kokhean macrumors regular

Go to iFile, locate the application and delete the MetaData.plist file. Then reinstall using the App Store app and see if that works.

16. iBar Guest

Slightly entertaining to read this thread...lol