Completely Remove iTunes - Delete entire library?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by T3hPreacher, Jul 11, 2008.

1. T3hPreacher macrumors member

I received Error 1601 while trying to restore my brother's iPhone in DFU mode (not jailbroken, just a seriously jacked 2.0 install). When I Googled this error, I came to an Apple Knowledge Base article that told me I would need to completely remove iTuens in order to solve the problem.

Here's the link to this article:
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306084

Here's the link to the information on completely removing iTunes:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1925?viewlocale=en_US

My question is whether this will cause movie library deletion, or other irrecoverable changes. Podcast, playlist, and movie deletion are of secondary concern. Anyway, since I've never done this, I'd like to know whether it's safe to completely remove iTunes and all related components, then reinstall, or if this will entirely delete the music library. Thanks for any help.

2. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

Based on what that article says, it does not want you to touch your library folder (in Music on Mac, in My Music on Windows and named iTunes).

So just leave that folder alone---DO NOT TOUCH IT
    That is where your library, playlists, music, games, apps, movies, etc, etc are stored

Only delete the files that it says and you should be fine--don't do any more than it says.

And if you could let me know whether you are on mac or pc, I could help even more

3. T3hPreacher thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info. I think I'll go ahead and try that. Since you asked, I'm on a PC.

4. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

Ok. No problem. If you have any more questions just ask. I used a pc for my entire life until last summer, so even if I can't see the exact file structure, etc., I can give a close description.

Oh, and when you are done deleting and reinstalling, if it does not automatically load your library when you first launch iTunes, close it, and reopen it while holding shift. A menu should come up asking you to Choose a Library or Create a Library. Select Choose a Library. Then go into your music folder and select the file "iTunes Library" (make sure it is NOT the .xml file)

5. T3hPreacher thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a lot for your help.

Before going through the process of trying to uninstall iTunes, I tried another option. It turned out that the restore file had been corrupted during the download by our filtering software. After deleting the restore file and redownloading it, we were able to restore the phone. I appreciate your time.

6. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

No problem. Thats why the forums are here! Glad you got it fixed without having to go through all that trouble.