Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oYx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 2, 2007
London
I haven't jailbroken my phone for a good year now, and I realised that even when it's not, some banking apps are disabling full access as they detect underlying JB data that must have got restored.

I understand I can set my phone as a new device after restoring, but I would also like to move all my data and apps back easily, especially photos. In other words, keep everything as it is now, but to only wipe the JB data.

Any idea how that can be done?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
You can wipe the components of the jailbreak itself, but as long as you want to continue using your data it makes it complicated.

You could backup, restore as new and then restore from your backup but any JB data would still be in your backup. I've not ever had a problem with that before (some things have held on while stock though) but other than moving your data somewhere else (say Dropbox), restoring as new and then moving your data back I can't see any way to do this easily.

Stuff like voicemail, email and iMessages/SMS/MMS can be retained by backing up to the cloud, but again you get all the other data in the backup - unless you specifically exclude that data.

Apps are easy. Your backup simply retains a list and redownloads them. The problem there though is that list is in a backup.

oYx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 2, 2007
London
You can wipe the components of the jailbreak itself, but as long as you want to continue using your data it makes it complicated.

You could backup, restore as new and then restore from your backup but any JB data would still be in your backup. I've not ever had a problem with that before (some things have held on while stock though) but other than moving your data somewhere else (say Dropbox), restoring as new and then moving your data back I can't see any way to do this easily.

Stuff like voicemail, email and iMessages/SMS/MMS can be retained by backing up to the cloud, but again you get all the other data in the backup - unless you specifically exclude that data.

Apps are easy. Your backup simply retains a list and redownloads them. The problem there though is that list is in a backup.

Absolutely. Seems like trying to put all my data back on the iPhone on my own wouldn't be the same as the way iTunes would have done it.

I really hope someone would write a Mac app to wipe off traces of JB data in an iTunes backup, such that restoring that backup to an iPhone would be as good as stock (with all user data in their right places, that is).

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Absolutely. Seems like trying to put all my data back on the iPhone on my own wouldn't be the same as the way iTunes would have done it.

I really hope someone would write a Mac app to wipe off traces of JB data in an iTunes backup, such that restoring that backup to an iPhone would be as good as stock (with all user data in their right places, that is).
I can't speak to the feasibility of creating an app to do that, but I do know that Saurik is able to make it so that Cydia sources are stored in iTunes backups so perhaps it might be possible.

oYx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 2, 2007
London
I can't speak to the feasibility of creating an app to do that, but I do know that Saurik is able to make it so that Cydia sources are stored in iTunes backups so perhaps it might be possible.

I wonder too. I'll try dropping him a message. Fingers crossed!

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I think I saw something posted a little while back (or it was posted a while ago and I only found it a little while back) that purportedly removed all traces of the jailbreak w/o having to erase the phone.

maybe someone else saw it too and remembers the name?

oYx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 2, 2007
London
I believe you may be referring to Cydia Impactor, which seems to require the phone to be jailbroken in order for it to do its thing.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I believe you may be referring to Cydia Impactor, which seems to require the phone to be jailbroken in order for it to do its thing.
There is that and there is Semi-Restore.

Both of these wipe all data and restore the phone to the factory settings of the firmware it currently is running.

The idea is to allow the user to start over and jailbreak again with a stock phone - versus restoring as new and being forced to a firmware that is not jailbreakable.

Both Impactor and Semi-Restore work best on iOS 8.x.

I didn't mention either of them because the topic in this thread was how to remove a jailbreak but keep the data and that is not what these two things do.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
There is that and there is Semi-Restore.

Both of these wipe all data and restore the phone to the factory settings of the firmware it currently is running.

The idea is to allow the user to start over and jailbreak again with a stock phone - versus restoring as new and being forced to a firmware that is not jailbreakable.

Both Impactor and Semi-Restore work best on iOS 8.x.

I didn't mention either of them because the topic in this thread was how to remove a jailbreak but keep the data and that is not what these two things do.

It was semi-restore but not showing in Cydia now...what gives?

The part about keeping the data...I forgot that either method doesn't. Memory definitely isn't what it used to be!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
umm the best action would be dfu restore then use icloud backup.
OP wants to restore with all his data and apps intact but without any jailbreak data. JB data can exist and remain inside a backup and that's what OP is trying to avoid.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
OP wants to restore with all his data and apps intact but without any jailbreak data. JB data can exist and remain inside a backup and that's what OP is trying to avoid.
like I said the 'best action', iCloud (not iTunes) backup it keeps some jb data, but it won't be anything system os affecting wide, more like preferences if I remember correctly.

Besides that of course starting fresh is the only way to evade any jb data.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
like I said the 'best action', iCloud (not iTunes) backup it keeps some jb data, but it won't be anything system os affecting wide, more like preferences if I remember correctly.

Besides that of course starting fresh is the only way to evade any jb data.

I think there was a confusion. Regardless iTunes or iCloud, if it's a full backup, that didn't make any different. I guess what you mean is not "backup" but the data "sync" to iCloud (e.g. the contact list, keychain, bookmark, etc).

oYx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 2, 2007
London
I would go for DFU and sync if not for photos not going back to Camera Roll (at least that's what I'm assuming). I could easily do all settings again though.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I would go for DFU and sync if not for photos not going back to Camera Roll (at least that's what I'm assuming). I could easily do all settings again though.

If photo stream is good enough for you, then it should not be a big problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.