Completely removed Private folder!

Scotty7!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2012
Was cleaning up my computer and stupidly put my private folder in the trash and emptied my trash. Now the computer is stuck at the white startup screen with the apple logo and endless spinning wheel. Am I totally screwed? Help would be appreciated!

woody777

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2012
Was cleaning up my computer and stupidly put my private folder in the trash and emptied my trash. Now the computer is stuck at the white startup screen with the apple logo and endless spinning wheel. Am I totally screwed? Help would be appreciated!
Sorry to hear that...

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Boulder, CO
So he shouldn't apologize to the OP? Would you rather he antagonize the OP?
No that's not what I'm saying and don't put words in my mouth. I'm just saying that I believe his post was a useless post to get his post count higher.

OP: Insert your restore discs that came with your computer. Then open Disk Utility from the drop down menu. Then click Macintosh HD, click partition, select your current partition and click the little minus. Then click the plus and name your new partition Macintosh HD. Then make sure format is: Mac OS Extended (journaled). Click on your new partition and then click options. Make sure it is set to the GUID partition map/table. Hit apply and let it work its magic. Then install Leopard like normal. Then when setting it up after the install, connect your Time Machine drive. Then restore from that drive.

Scotty7!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2012
OP: Insert your restore discs that came with your computer. Then open Disk Utility from the drop down menu. Then click Macintosh HD, click partition, select your current partition and click the little minus. Then click the plus and name your new partition Macintosh HD. Then make sure format is: Mac OS Extended (journaled). Click on your new partition and then click options. Make sure it is set to the GUID partition map/table. Hit apply and let it work its magic. Then install Leopard like normal. Then when setting it up after the install, connect your Time Machine drive. Then restore from that drive.
Unfortunately, I cannot perform any of these tasks because the computer won't start up. When I power on the computer it starts up and stays on the white screen with the apple logo and the spinning wheel.

leman

macrumors G4
Oct 14, 2008
You need to boot from the CD or from the Lion recovery partition. To boot from CD: insert the cd, press the C key during startup. To boot the recovery: press command+R during startup. You can also press alt during startup to view the selection of bootable modules. See also here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1533

In the future, please retain from deleting your system files :p

Nyy8

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2011
New England
Leman, he said he was running leopard.

OP: Can you do anything? Maybe you could wipe the drive and use your restore CDs from there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.