Completely Removing G3 iMac CRT

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by slave187, Jan 26, 2009.

1. slave187 macrumors newbie

I've been given a half torn apart iMac G3 700mhz (which still runs), and plan on putting it's bare essential parts into a case I'm making.

I've taken out the drives and logic board with down converter, but now I'm stuck behind the CRT. I know it's very dangerous, but I need to get around it to get to the board underneath it.

Do I have to discharge the CRT or could I just snip the suction cable connected to it without any risk? I plan on recycling the thing, but right now I just need it out of my way.

Any ideas?

2. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

DO NOT TOUCH IT WITHOUT SEEKING PROFESSIONAL ADVICE, OR LET A PROFESSIONAL DO THE JOB, AS DANGEROUS TURNED OFF AS ON I BELIEVE........

3. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Turn it off and unplug. Let it sit for a day. Then get to it. You still have to be really really careful as you don't even have to touch the CRT to get zapped. I guess if we don't hear from you we know what happened. http://www.wikihow.com/Discharge-a-CRT-Monitor

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

A CRT acts as a big capacitor and can hold a charge for years. It can Knock you on your can or even kill you under the right conditions. I have heard of people discharging them more then once in fact. Caution high voltage!

5. MrM macrumors 6502

NO!

The main wire you don't want to touch will be Red, and coming directly out of the CRT (the one that suctions to the CRT). I used to hate working on iMac's because of it. Don't cut it! it can be removed with plyers, or really small and strong hands, by pulling directly away from the connection (where it looks like a suction cup). I wouldn't mess with it unless you absolutely know what you are doing. Even then, have someone with you so they can call 911 if something happens.

Edit- Because I didn't say it already, I'm not responsible if you injure or kill yourself. Use extreme caution.