Completely removing Mac OS?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Faux Carnival, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Faux Carnival macrumors 6502a

Hello, I have a 128GB Macbook Air. I use Windows on my device almost all the time. Lately, I have been having problems with insufficient storage. So, is there a way that I can remove Mac OS X completely?

Thanks.

2. dyt1983, Feb 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying info not relevant to the conversation.

3. Faux Carnival thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, I can't. When I try to partition the drive using Boot Camp, I have to allocate a minimum of 20 GB for OS X. That annoys me.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Bootcamp is executed in OS X, so it cannot give you everything and repartition the drive at the same time.

Its possible, did you try to repartition the drive in the Windows setup where you select the volume to install windows?

5. Surrat macrumors 6502

Surrat

I dont know if this works on a MBA, but I installed win81 in native EFI mode on my mac pro 5,1 without needing to setup the partition with bootcamp. OSX is not needed, and the only part of bootcamp I use is the device drivers for windows.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Did you run into any driver issues, I thought a stumbled upon a thread or two where some people ran into audio driver issues going that route.

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Audio driver issues only crop up on Macs that don't support the UEFI 2.0 standard.

All Haswell (and later) Macs support the UEFI 2.0 standard. Ivy Bridge and earlier require CSM-BIOS.

8. Surrat macrumors 6502

Surrat

All the driver issues and sound problems I have read about when using windows in EFI mode were on mac laptops. My mac pro 5,1 had no issues at all, everything worked perfectly, I installed up to date video drivers, and also a newer audio driver. No problems at all.

I dont know how well it will or if it will work on a macbook air, I'm just saying mac pro 5,1 + win81pro is great.

9. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Windows in UEFI mode has totally zero problems if installed on Macs that support the UEFI 2.0 standard (which means Haswell and later).

Ivy Bridge and earlier Macs have all sorts of hell trying to get Windows in UEFI to work, because these Macs still rely on CSM-BIOS.

10. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Just stumbled on this issue with my 2011 iMac. I hadn't used bootcamp in years (before EFI) and had no idea the 2011s were not fully EFI compatible. I guess I'll just get an external USB soundcard.

Cheers,