Completely Reset iPhone?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by dragonmantek, Feb 17, 2010.

1. dragonmantek macrumors regular

dragonmantek

Sorry if this has been asked before, I searched and couldn't find anything. I have a new iPhone 3GS, and it's at 3.1.3.

I want to jailbreak it, but I obviously haven't succeeded.

I was wondering if there is a master reset within the phone, "Erase All Content and Settings", or maybe software that could do it, besides iTunes?

There's got to be a way to reset the firmware to the stock one that it came with, without having to go through so much hassle. If there is, I'd be glad to know, I'm sure so would others.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It is "Erase all content and settings". It is under settings. That will restore to default.

3. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

To restore your phone to factory conditions you need to do a combination of 1) Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Contents and Settings and 2) Restore to the official iPhone firmware. Please note that you can only restore to firmware Apple is currently signing unless you have your ECID signature hashes (SHSH) saved. Simply erasing all contents and settings will not allow you to downgrade to 3.1.2.

4. dragonmantek thread starter macrumors regular

dragonmantek

If it restores to the stock firmware, then wouldn't it not be downgrading, just going back to the original?

Is it worth trying? Or should I just wait till they crack it?

5. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

If you are at 3.1.3, going to 3.1.2 is, by definition, downgrading.

If you are asking if it's worth trying to downgrade to 3.1.2 without your SHSH saved, the answer is no, that would be a waste of time.

6. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

The original firmware is no longer on your phone.

It was overwritten by the upgraded firmware you chose to install.

7. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

I doubt anyone's working on cracking it. Geohot's working on the PS3, and I think the Dev Team is holding off until 4.0 OS till they drop their findings.

I guess I should have said "I doubt anyone important's working on cracking it" as there are a bunch of nonames that say they're working on it, but in reality they're just waiting till they can steal the Dev Team's solution and brand it as their own.

8. dragonmantek thread starter macrumors regular

dragonmantek

Well, considering that we don't know anything about the next release of the iPhone OS, or even the next iPhone, wouldn't they be working on it?

I remember they cracked OS 2.0 before it even came out, so this shouldn't be that difficult for them, especially since they are veterans.

At least I think so.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You have no choice.
    There is no master reset that would undo the 3.1.3 upgrade.
    All you can do is wait.