Completely screwed, pls help?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by brokeniphone, Jan 28, 2010.

1. brokeniphone macrumors newbie

Hi all,

My iPhone (8gb 3G) recently started playing up and I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else before?

(I have read about this part before - but it's not the whole story)
    Initially the home button stopped working, not sure why, but it just did. At first it became more difficult to get the handset to read when I pressed the button and then complete failure. For me to access the phone from here I had to use the sleep button, and to change apps I had to turn the phone off and on again.

Today though, a whole new problem has arisen on top of the above. The screen has stopped responding and is stuck on the power off slider. I can see things fine and see calls coming in (can't answer them though) but just can't turn off the phone...

To add insult to injury the sleep button isn't working either so effectively none of the input mechanisms on the handset work!!!

To add insult to the injury I just added insult to, I tried to connect the phone to iTunes to do a factory reset, and guess what? Yep, I have a passcode on the phone to which I cant enter, so I can't let iTunes reset the phone for me.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do to fix this (I'm assuming I'll have to wait for the battery to die) as I have tried doing everything i can think of so far except for dismantling the phone.

Any help would be much appreciated!

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I think your title says it all. You're SOL. Did you have water damage? If not, and you're still under warranty, take it to Apple.

3. brokeniphone thread starter macrumors newbie

Not to my memory there should be no water damage.

The phone itself had it's first cataclysmic failure (home button) about 2 weeks ago and the rest of it has operated just fine (not that it is fine :mad: ) until this morning.

I thought a more experienced user might have seen something I hadn't hence the post but it looks like my suspicions are confirmed and that I will have to get a new one.

It's past it's 1yr warranty and I have an upgrade available + insurance so may as well use one of those two as it will cost almost the same to repair I expect :(

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

An Out of Warranty replacement is $199, but I'm not sure this falls under the guidelines. Doesn't hurt to ask, unless you don't want to spend even that much.