Completely submerged iPhone 3GS, what are my options?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by St. Germain, Dec 20, 2010.

1. St. Germain macrumors 6502

I'm in the midst of trying the "rice trick" to dry it out, but I'm pretty certain she's a goner since she was in the washing machine for a good 5 minutes.

I don't want to get an iPhone 4 because the next version is just around the corner and I really don't want a brand new contract right now.

So now I'm wondering what my best option is. It's a 32GB 3GS which Apple doesn't even sell anymore. I read about "Out of warranty repairs" for $199, I assume this would fall into that and they'd end up just sending me a refurb?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Just try the rice trick and leave it in the bag for 3 or 4 days (turned off). See how that goes. Otherwise look for a 32GB 3GS on eBay or something.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

4. SteveG4Cube macrumors 6502

Disassemble enough of it to disconnect the battery immediately, get a can of compressed air spray and blow out whatever water you can, and let it air dry for a couple days.

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Air drying it isn't a great idea as the likelihood of it corroding is higher. I'd definitely do the rice trick as that seems to have a pretty high success rate.

6. mad-dog-one macrumors 6502

Have you considered using a solvent to address this problem. Place two ounces of 80 proof ethanol is a small glass vessel and begin sipping it gradually while you discuss the weather, holiday plans, and the pending new year activities with friends. After an hour or two of emptying and refilling the vessel, the effect of the solvent will minimize your perception of your iPhone problem. Alternatively, you could smash your hand with a 20 ounce hammer, swung under full force, to reestablish a sence of priorities.

Good Luck and be thankful; it's only a phone.

7. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Good Luck ... I have never heard of one coming back from 5 minutes in the Washer.

replacement from Apple or your phone provider seems like the outcome

8. JASApplications macrumors 65816

I left my iPod Touch in the washer for about 10 mins and it survived to tell the tale! I used the "rice trick" for 5 days and when I turned it back on I was pleasantly surprised!

9. St. Germain thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep. I ended up doing the Advanced replacement plan. They said I'd have a replacement tomorrow. Yes, it sucks paying $199, but I don't want to jump to the iPhone 4 and get a new contract since I want to upgrade to the next version iPhone (or switch to Verizon) in 2011.

What is the AppleCare Advance Replacement Service for iPhone?
    The AppleCare Advance Replacement Service (ARS) for iPhone is a service option that is designed to reduce the amount of time you are without an iPhone. Normally, when requesting mail-in service, you must first send your iPhone to Apple before receiving a replacement. With ARS, Apple will ship you a replacement iPhone as soon as you request it, then you send your original phone to Apple. The replacement iPhone will be new or equivalent to new in performance and reliability.

10. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Glad that semi-worked out for you ... tough pill to swallow right before Christmas. Seems like the best option though to be up and running quick.

11. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

You guys know the rice trick was a backdoor feature set up by Asians, right?

(disclaimer: I'm Asian, I should be able to joke about it.)

12. djjeffroe macrumors newbie

My first (original iPhone) went through a whole wash cycle. I put it in a baggie of rice over the weekend, replacing the rice each day, and it came back on. The battery wouldn't last all day after that, but I found a battery online and replaced it myself and its still kicking!!!!

13. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I always thought it was those pesky Nigerians trying to get me to smuggle rice to their bank accounts.
    Good thing you cleared that up! ;)

14. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I think the 2 step procedure is your best option--bag of rice for at least 3 days, then if that doesn't work--a trip to the Apple store with $199 for a replacement. :)

15. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

For anyone else who may have this problem in the future, an even better alternative to the rice option is to use the gel pack silica desiccant that can be found in certain kitty litters, and of course, those small white packets found packaged with most electronic devices. Place the phone in a very sheer nylon sock to keep the individual pieces of the desiccant out of the openings and place the phone in an airtight container in among the desiccant. It really does work a lot more frequently than you might expect!