Completely uninstalling iLife apps (from the App Store)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by vladobizik, Apr 16, 2013.

1. vladobizik macrumors 6502

I would like to uninstall all three iLife apps I downloaded from the Mac App Store, and I would like to do it completely, without leaving leftovers. It's a common misconception that Mac apps are completely self-contained, even the ones from the App Store aren't, especially the ones from Apple. I normally delete all files throughout the system that refer to the app and developer (using Spotlight and a handy search app called EasyFind), but I wouldn't like to break the system doing this, as iLife may be somewhat more closely tied with the system (and I did break my system a bit while trying to completely eradicate iWork a while back).
    For example, GarageBand stores instruments, samples, lessons somewhere and I would like to get rid of those, but I'm also a Logic Pro user and I don't want to break that!
    Does anybody have a list of files and folders that I should delete if I want to completey get rid of these three apps while not damaging the system? Or should I just reinstall OS X completely? :-D

If anybody's interested why the hell would I want to do this, it's a little OCD I have, I don't want to have apps that I don't use installed on my computer, it drives me crazy, and I use Logic Pro, Adobe Revel and Premiere Elements instead of GarageBand, iPhoto and iMovie respectively.

2. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

I usually just do like you say, for instance, when I deleted iPhoto last week.
    Usually, you delete the preferences plists and things inside ~/Library.

But anyway, not to sound too obvious, your best bet is to google each, then collect all paths that appear in each article/forum post you see (where people express their success of course!!), and that way you can safely delete all of those.
    That's what I'd do if I was uncertain like you are (in the sense of not screwing it up).

But if you have a "clone" backup of your main HD (of course you do? No???!!! :D) then it's a matter of doing it a weekend, then just using it for some days and if nothing happens and all your apps open normally etc, then you know it did work eh?

3. vladobizik thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks a lot. Sure I have a Time Machine backup :)
    I will try doing exactly that, deleting all plists and folders in the Libraries and googling if there are any other files I should get rid of.
    If anyone has some sort of guide for thoroughly removing these three apps, feel free to pitch in.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

5. maxosx macrumors 68020

This is sage advice.

It's the only way to be sure you've removed the app & related files.