Completely Wiping SSD on rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by StockDC2, Jan 27, 2015.

1. StockDC2 macrumors regular

Hello, I am looking to sell my rMBP 15" and am curious how I would go about completely wiping the drive (similar to zeroing out a HDD). I have my new rMBP and was thinking of connecting the 2 using a ThunderBolt cable but am not sure if that would work. I have a USB drive with Yosemite on it but am not sure if I could completely wipe my primary partition and recovery using it. If there isn't a solution to wipe the drive completely, I may have no choice but to keep my SSD and part out the system (which I want to avoid).

Thanks for the help!

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Boot into Recovery (hold down Command-R after the startup chime) and use Disk Utility to secure erase Macintosh HD. Afterward you can perform a clean OS install from there as well.

----------

Wait, why would you want to wipe Recovery?

3. StockDC2 thread starter macrumors regular

It is my understanding that the recovery partition still retains the user's information such as their iCloud credentials. Not sure how I feel about that since I back up my messages and pictures. If I've been misinformed, then deleting the recovery partition would not be necessary.

4. Gav2k, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2015

Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

The recovery partition contains the os installer not your files. It does not need wiping.

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

The Recovery partition doesn't contain anything other than some basic utilities such as Time Machine restore, downloading OS X from the Internet, Disk Utility, Terminal and the EFI Firmware Password Utility.

It doesn't store any iCloud credentials. That's why you've to enter your credentials manually when trying to re-download OS X from the Recovery partition, so that it can verify that you've purchased OS X.

I always keep a bootable USB stick in the event I need to reinstall OS X. It saves me the time from having to re-download the whole thing.

6. StockDC2 thread starter macrumors regular

Sounds great. Thanks for your guys' responses. I'll just do a reformat using my USB drive.