Completly new to the game

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Scalion, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Scalion macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I don't own any cellphone. However i have the intention to buy one.
    I do not want pay a company like verizon/AT&T/etc... I just want to connect to a wireless internet connection when it's free, like example Starbuck.

I'm not sure to understand the LTE/4g stuff, and i was wondering if it's important for me if i just want a phone that connect to the internet when available.

I see some iphone locked on kijiji, and i was wondering if it matter to me, will i have obligation to pay the bill of the owner for 2 year (what ever the time) ?

I see some Unlock, but they are more expansive.

Thank you
    - A newbee

2. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

3. Scalion thread starter macrumors newbie

4. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68000

MuGeN PoWeR

5. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

6. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

It does, it's not on the main Apple page anymore, but you'll find it with ease.

7. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

Yeah,

You just want an iPod Touch w/ either Facetime (can do both audio/video feeds), Google Voice or other VOIP services.

8. joy_ng macrumors member

9. Scalion thread starter macrumors newbie

That wierd, i was searching on the page for ipod touch and didn't find it !
    Thank you for the page.

However i still want a iphone for couple fonctionality that are not in a ipod touch.

Ipad mini is way too big for me.

But can someone be able to answer on my initial question of my thread ?
    thank you

10. Conan86, Oct 13, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2015

Conan86 macrumors 6502

You'll need to have a SIM card to be able to activate it. I'm wondering what functionality are you taking about that isn't available on the iPod touch? AFAIK most of the cellular free functionality are actually available on it

11. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

An iPhone has GPS, touchID, ApplePay which the iPod touch doesn't

An iPhone without a data plan is doable, but it's an expensive way to go for just wifi functionality. Also, some features may not work all that rear without data.

For instance, GPS will work on just wifi, but often, you're in areas without wifi and need GPS. If you didn't download yet maps beforehand, you're screwed.

12. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

They did answer your question. Looks like all you want is an iPod touch.

13. willmtaylor, Oct 13, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2015

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

What you are looking for is an iPhone Touch.

However, sure, you can buy an older iPhone that will be able to access the internet. Yes, you want "unlocked" b/c that means it's not tied to a carrier.

I'm assuming you're in The Great White North since you referred to Kijiji? (That would've been helpful info in your OP.) You'd have to try and talk to some fellow Canadians for info regarding your carriers and frequencies they use. (I.e. which phones will work with which carriers.)

It sounds like you need an older iPhone that's unlocked with a clean IMEI (this ensures that the phone isn't indebted to a carrier and is in good standing). Then get a SIM and a pre-paid plan.

14. ultravisitor macrumors 6502

ultravisitor

A 16GB iPod Touch can be had for $199. A 16GB iPhone 6s is $649.

If you're not going to use the cellular radio, then what in the world is worth the $450 price difference? "Status"?

15. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

No, you shouldn't have to pay the bill or cancellation fee for the owner.

Pick out a phone you're interested in. If it's locked, pick up a pre-paid SIM for that company, or have a friend who uses that company come along. Basically, test that the phone can be used for a phone call and data connection. It may not matter to you now, but it will if you ever want to re-sell it. You can also get the IMEI number for the phone, and call the company it's locked to, and make sure it's not blocked or black-listed.

You don't need unlocked. That's important if you want to move from one phone company (or even a different country) to another. Since you're not going to use it as a phone, it's not relevant to you. Again, it might be better for resale later, but it's probably not worth spending more money on now.

As other's have mentioned, I'm not sure what you'll get from this phone compared to an iPod, but to each their own...

C