Completly Uninstall a Program

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by RaceJunkie, Dec 22, 2007.

1. RaceJunkie macrumors regular

I am trying to install Adobe Master Collection CS3. But I had a single install of Fireworks CS3 installed before this. I have removed every file I can find about Fireworks but when I go to install the Master Collection, it tells me that Fireworks is already installed..:confused:

I don't understand why there is not a simpler way like Windows to uninstall a program.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The adobe apps come with an uninstaller, did you use that to remove fireworks? Also try removing anything adobe to get it to realize that fireworks is not still installed.

3. RaceJunkie thread starter macrumors regular

Probably not.. I have no idea where the uninstallers are at. This is all new to me makes no sense why some apps you drag to the trash and others there are uninstallers for.. Looks like they would make everything all the same, like windows.

Thanks I'll keep digging.

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

It isn't Apple's fault; it depends on the software developers. In most cases, dragging the app to the trash will do justice, but some developers that insist on using installers, also provide uninstallers so they can clean up the mess they created.

5. RaceJunkie thread starter macrumors regular

LOL mess indeed, I'm going to reinstall Fireworks to see if I can run the uninstaller to remove it all. I can't find one single file with the name fireworks in it, unless it is a hidden file. Does the Mac have hidden files?

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The uninstaller should be in the utilities folder of your apps folder. In there you should find the adobe installers folder - which contains the uninstallers for the adobe apps. try that before you try to reinstall it.

7. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

check in the users library folder under Preferences and well as under application support. Try these same locations under the root library folder as well. :eek:

8. RaceJunkie thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone I was able to run the uninstaller to remove the program.