Complex buying question - UK buyer in NYC

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Davmeister, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Davmeister macrumors 6502

Davmeister

I'm staying at the Plaza hotel opposite the 5th Avenue store in a week or so.

I want to get an iPhone for myself and a friend. However I live and work in the UK. I notice on the Apple page here: https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/ that the model for the UK is also supported by some US networks. Does that mean that the Apple store will stock that model? If so, could I walk in the store and buy it without signing up to a contract? Online they only seem to have a locked T Mobile version, the non UK version that is.

I know it will be locked but I could still buy it and it would still function in the UK, correct?

Hope that makes sense!

Thanks

2. Batem macrumors newbie

The t-mobile version should be unlocked and good for international use if you buy it at an apple store.

I live in germany and ordered one myself. I get it delivered to a hotel in the us

3. ruler22 macrumors member

AFAIK - Both versions of the 6 (GSM versions) will work in both the US and the UK, the only difference between the (2) GSM versions sold is that one will work better in asian countries as it has 4 more LTE bands that are commonly used over there. Otherwise, as far as I can tell, they all have the same bands, so the UK phone can work with all US networks and vise versa (meaning any bands that are important to the major US GSM (excluding T mobile, they are missing band 12 completely on the phone) and major UK GSM wireless service providers) are present on both versions (LTE, 3G, etc.).

The one with the 4 extra bands is mostly going to be sold by Sprint, of which I think you may be able to buy full price somehow (wasn't easy to find how on their website though), but I've heard is very difficult to get Sprint to unlock it for you.

I currently live in the US, however I am in the UK due to work until mid november and have bought a UK iPhone 6 while I am here. Unfortunately, I'll only be using it on wifi while I'm here (have a work phone for any calling), and won't be able to test on my US provider (ATT) until I get back to the US.

I've just realized I haven't exactly answered your question, but they should stock that model in their store (they may not currently...but it's something they'll get shipments in of). If you buy it it should work on any of the GSM carriers in the US (if you decide to buy a SIM while you are in the states), and should work on any of the major UK ones as well (EE, O2, etc.).

Feel free to double check if you'd like, you can look at the frequencies each network uses on wikipedia, and double check against the frequencies each version will support here (about 1/2 way down the page):

https://www.apple.com/iphone-6/specs/

4. Davmeister thread starter macrumors 6502

Davmeister

Thank you both! ^^