Complex Networking Issue

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cbeyond, Jun 20, 2008.

1. cbeyond macrumors member

Austin - Live Music Capital of the World!
    I have built a kinda complex home network. Let me explain what works first, then what isn't working.

I have a DSL connection enabled at my main switchboard for my house.
    Its broadband DSL modem's output is to a main ethernet switchboard but I have it only going to a single ethernet connection which has an output on the other side of my house (where my mac mini sits).

That ethernet output leads to a Time Capsule that I am only using as a Airport Extreme router (too much bandwidth used by Time Machine to enable it, makes my whole network grind to a snail's pace when my 5 macs are all backing up - I wish Time Machine had options to change the settings so I could have daily, not hourly back-ups! Maybe some side advice on this issue.)

I have the Time Capsule configured as an N-network at 5GHz so only N-based devices can connect.
    Off of its 3 wired ports, I have: VoIP adapter; the Mac Mini (it acts as my media server and its G-wireless is too slow); and, an G-Airport Express.

The G-Express is configured in bridged-mode and operates at 2.4 GHz. This allows me to have all non-N devices in my house run on the G-network and allow the N-network to reach its full potential (thanks to another forum post for this set-up!).

All this worked great. Then I bought an network (ethernet) and duplexing laser printer and everything changed. To make "room" for the printer to be attached via an ethernet cable, I added a cheap (no name) $10 4-port ethernet hub to the Time Capsule. I moved the Mac Mini to the hub (to make room for the hub to be attached to the Time Capsule). I also went ahead and wired one my Apple TV's to the hub since it keeps dropping out of the wireless network (my other 2 are fine) and its located next to the Mac mini anyway.

Now the Mini's connection to the network runs painfully slow. File transfers from it to other computers on the network sometimes fail. Files that should transfer in seconds now take several minutes to copy when they copy at all.

I have seen some threads in the archives talking about half- and full-duplexing hubs and issues created by this. Is this the source of my problem? I also have an old Linksys G router I could use as a switch, but I want to be sure I understand what configuration I should use to make it compatible on the back-end of the network. I tried the Genius bar today, but I've "stumped" the bar with this one. The told me the issue is most likely caused by trying to re-distribute a single IP address from the Time Capsule to several devices on the hub effectively getting a "traffic jam" on 1 IP address.

I want to get everything working happily again and want to avoid backing down to a USB connection for the printer or wireless for the Apple TV and lose the speed I should be able to get through ethernet with both.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

First thought - is it really a "hub?" Those are for 10BaseT. Get a 10/100BaseT switch, so you don't force the wired segment to run at 10BaseT speed.
    I "think" the linksys will work for this - to use as a switch, don't use the WAN/internet for input, use only the LAN ports. Turn off DHCP in the admin web page.

3. ihabime macrumors 6502

The problem is the hub. Hubs are 'dumb' they retransmit every packet to every computer connected to them, causing tons of extra traffic and slowing down your network. As gsahli said, linksys should work fine as a switch.

4. Burtonsnow9 macrumors regular

yea you should be able to turn the wireless feature off on the linksys router and just use it as a switch