Complex screen sharing question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tobefirst, Jan 11, 2010.

1. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

So, my dad just purchased his first computer ever and is sloooowly learning even its basic functions. Unfortunately, the simplest things are tripping him up and frustrating him to no end. The result is that me, my sister, or my brother-in-law have to travel over to his house in order to perform the most basic things- like clicking on a "no thanks" button so that a dialog box goes away so that he can access the internet, or other such simple things.

I would like to setup each of our computers so that we can just take over his screen and have him follow along while we "fix" the problems he is having. If he had bought a Mac, I wouldn't even need to create this thread, but since he went with a PC, I need a little help.

The important part is that he is able to see us moving the mouse on his screen so he can learn what to do. And, being that he can't even get past a simple dialog box, this needs to be practically automatic on his end. What is the easiest way to accomplish this? Below are a list of the computers involved:

Dad- Windows 7
    Me- Snow Leopard
    My sis- Leopard
    My bro-in-law- Vista and Windows 7

Thanks for your help.

2. skarocks47 macrumors member

I personally use and think that LogMeIn is the best for you. It is free and can work on all of he computers you listed. Just sign up for an accound and add each of your families computers to your account and you can access their computer whenever you want.

Logmein.com

3. jampat macrumors 6502a

On the microsoft front, remote desktop connection does what you need. You would need to setup his router to allow you to access his computer.

No experience with above posters solution, but if it works and is free it is worth a shot.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

TeamViewer will do everything you need, and works with both Windows and Mac OS X. It's free and so simple to install that you can walk anyone through the installation and connection over the phone. I use it constantly to provide remote support and training to clients.

5. tobefirst thread starter macrumors 68040

tobefirst

GGJstudios, is it possible to set this up where my dad wouldn't have open an application to figure out his ID and password? I'd like to make it automatic to where, at most, all he has to do is click "accept" or "deny" and then I'd be controlling his mouse, which he would be able to see on his screen.

6. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

I use showmypc.com in my technical support position all day. Very simple to use and requires about one click by the end user. Free too. I'm pretty sure they have a mac version but not 100%.

I've also heard LogMeIn is great.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can set it up with a predetermined password, so it automatically launches when Windows boots up, and where it only has an icon in the systray, so he won't have to do anything. You can connect/disconnect whenever you need to, even reboot his system remotely. Also good for file transfers, etc.