complex selection question in Pages

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Loa, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

Hello,

Is it possible to tell Pages to select all text with, say, font size 17?

I have a texte with a bunch of different fonts and font sizes, and would like to apply changes to them. For example, I'd like to change all the text that is 17 to 12 without affecting all the other font sized text.

I tried with paragraph and character styles to no avail...

Loa

2. OrganMusic macrumors 6502

I don't think there's a completely automatic way from where you are.

I assume you have a document in which you've used 17pt for headings or something and would like to change them all together. This might be a good opportunity to learn how to use styles.

Fix one of the block you want to change, then select it and do "Create New Paragraph Style from Selection"

View the styles drawer. You can right click on the style you just made and assign it a hot key (F1). Go through your document, select everything you want to be that style (i.e. your 17 point things) and hit F1 (or FN-F1 depending on how you have function keys set in system preferences / keyboard)

Now any time you want to change everything that style, just change one (make it bold, say), leave the cursor on it and right click on your style in the styles drawer and select "redefine style from selection" and they will all change!

This is for Pages 4.x so it may be a bit different in the new 5.x version.

3. Loa thread starter macrumors 65816

Loa

Thanks for the help. Trouble is that the text is pretty long and there are a lot of different styles I'd have to manually select...

Loa

4. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

Not something I've tried.

If I had to do this I would copy the text and paste it into Tex-Edit Plus then use the native search tools or AppleScript to do this. I do a similar search for font size in a script I use with TE+. TE+ has fantastic grep and AS support.

If you don't know AppleScript real well that is OK. TE+ has a record function. Turn on recording in AppleScript, do what you want to the text, stop recording. The software generates an AppleScript for you. Now you can tweak the script to do what you want.

5. Loa thread starter macrumors 65816

Loa

HEllo,

Sadly, I don't know nearly enough about scripting to do this... I did it manually using styles.

Loa