Complex VNC setup advice

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ejl10, Aug 2, 2010.

1. ejl10 macrumors member

Hi all,

Background - I've got a Mac Mini hooked up to my TV running Plex as an HTPC. Then I have my old iPhone set up with the Remote app running all the time, exporting iTunes to an Airport Express so I can have music running separate from the TV. I've also got an iPad that I bought to replace my Macbook Pro for surfing, email, etc. while on the couch.

The problem - The arrangement works great, but there are three things the iPad can't do that I'm really itching for:
    1) Rosetta Stone (I've heard the iPad version is coming, but I've invested heavily in the Mac version already and would like to use it)
    2) Online poker (Apple won't support an app for it)
    3) iChat AV (have a webcam on top of the TV)

Why it's a problem - I can do all three of these things on the Mac Mini, but it necessitates shutting down Plex. I'm looking for a way around it to keep the keyboard and mouse out of the living room, and to avoid interrupting my gf if she's watching something.

My thoughts - My first instinct was to set up a second instance of OSX using VirtualBox/VMware/Parallels, and then VNC into it from the iPad. However, none of these programs actually support an OSX instance running inside of OSX. Does anyone have any other ideas how I can accomplish this setup without getting another computer to host VNC? Maybe using a second user account or a second Spaces screen somehow?

Would love to get any thoughts! Thanks in advance!

2. ejl10 thread starter macrumors member

The silence is deafening... this must be an even tougher problem than I thought!