complicated Airport Extreme Network Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MadGoat, Aug 29, 2007.

1. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

hey, i'm looking for a little help regarding my new airport extreme N series.

let's give a little background of how my house is configured and what's happening.

first off I'm on cable that is plugged into my lynksys router (192.168.1.1) in the basement from there it splits 3 ways throught the house, this was laid out before wireless router caught on.

One connection goes to the upstairs office, connected to the linksys, the second goes to the down stairs office which is where I have the Airport setup and the third goes the the bedroom(inactive).

Prior to having the Airport setup, I had a lynksys wrt 54g with 3 hard-lined connections. wife's computer (XP SP1) connected on port 2, my windows server (XP SP2) on port 3 and a spare connection, port 4, to connect my macbook when I wanted full 100mb speed.

Port 1 was used to setup a bridge like connection between the 2 lynksys routers so I could see all the computers in the house instead of using the WAN connection.

This worked great for a year.

Yesterday I bought the Airport, setup the thing with the wan port connected to the main linksys and used the "bridged network" setting from the airport options. connected my old windows server and wife's computer to ports 1 and 2.

now I cannot see the other computers on the network, nor can I ping them. but the computers have internet access and they can see the shared HD that I attached to the Airport.

I made the Airport part of the MSHOME workgroup, and I've even tried to connect the office WAN connection to the 3rd port of the Airport to see if I could emulate what I had before on the 54g. no change, can't see anyone else or ping.

I was able to remote desktop into my server very briefly and even ping it, but that didn't last.

I know this is a complicated matter but I'm lost.

Also on the windows server It seems like the internet connection is not reliable.

2. macleod199 macrumors 6502

Could it have something to do with the firewall in the Airport? That's my only thought... I couldn't follow all the details exactly.