Complicated Airport sharing issue

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ccarte21, May 9, 2008.

1. ccarte21 macrumors newbie

I'm new to these forums, so first, Hello.

On to my problem. I'm using a MacBook (Leopard 10.5.2) and I receive my internet connection wirelessly since I'm far from the router. My family receives internet through that crazy satellite internet thing, and the receiver box only has one ethernet output. To this I've connected a wireless router and have the Desktop PCs connected via ethernet cables. My laptop is in my room, which is in the basement, but still manages to get a strong signal. However, all other WiFi devices I try to use in the basement receive a very weak signal. So I'm trying to share my wireless connection using my ethernet port. But to make this more complicated, my WiFi enabled devices (read: Nintendo Wii and DS) don't have ethernet ports, so I'm connecting my MacBook to a second wireless router (the very same model that is providing the wireless to my laptop from upstairs). This router is sending a wireless signal, but for some reason nothing can get an IP address from it. I've tried to set up my ethernet connection to have a manual IP address and define the IP addresses of the other devices, as well as just having it automatically get its IP address, but nothing works. Should I be setting up the second wireless router (the one connected to the MacBook) so that it thinks the MacBook is the DHCP server, or the original satellite receiver (from which my MacBook itself is getting its IP address)?

Sorry for the long post and I appreciate any help that anyone can give me.

2. Bentot macrumors newbie

Bentot

Did you ever resolve this problem?

I'd appreciate it a great deal if you'd let me know:p

Thanks!

3. ccarte21 thread starter macrumors newbie

I eventually found a configuration that worked after extensive Google searches on the issue. It had something to do with how I set the router itself up to use the macbook connection. However, it's been months since I did this, and I don't have the same setup anymore. So I have no idea how I went about getting it to work. All I can recommend is looking up information about the router you're using and putting it into bridge mode or something similar. Sorry I can't be more help.