Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bobdude161

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
N'Albany, Indiana
hello again, i've finally set up the whole network today and everything is connected, this is how it looks http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e23/bobdude161/Netdiagram.jpg . both PCs recognize each other but it seems the Macs (OS 8.6) are left in the dark. on the switch there are three indicator lights: "Active/Linked", "100" and "Full/Col". PC2 is showin alll three lights, but the Macs only have the "active/linked" light on. i'm guessing this means that the Macs aren't communicating very well to the network. is there a certain setting i need to put on the TCIP control? or is this a hardware issue? i've connected them to a router for testing and they worked fine but once they were hooked up to a switch they stopped talkin.

U may wonder why i'm usin a switch. well i have my reasons, it's a problem of patched holes and the inability to bring another cord from the router to the downstairs.

other than that, i'm thinkin about buyin another router to replace the switch downstairs, but before i do that, is there a solution to my current situation?

mrichmon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
Bobdude161 said:
on the switch there are three indicator lights: "Active/Linked", "100" and "Full/Col". PC2 is showin alll three lights, but the Macs only have the "active/linked" light on. i'm guessing this means that the Macs aren't communicating very well to the network. is there a certain setting i need to put on the TCIP control? or is this a hardware issue?

I suspect that the macs only support 10BaseT ethernet and your switch is falling back to this speed. You would have to check the switch manual to be certain.

Have you checked that all the machines are set to use DHCP? Or alternatively that all the machines have unique IPs if you don't want to use DHCP?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.