Complicated Wireless Network Setup

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DTphonehome, Sep 23, 2009.

1. DTphonehome macrumors 68000

OK, this isn't specifically related to Apple base stations, but you guys know your stuff, so I thought I'd try here first :)

I'm setting up a WiFi network in a heavy concrete and steel construction home with multiple stories. Each floor has an ethernet run. I would like to install a base station at each floor. I would like for them all to be one large network, so when you go between floors, you pick up the strongest base station automatically, and the entire network has one SSID. Is this possible? My other option was having one base station with multiple repeaters on the other floors, but I'm afraid that will cut down the network bandwidth significantly.

Thanks for any help!

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

just give everything the same SSID and security settings. The only thing you want different is channels, try to spread them out since 1,6, & 11 are the only ones that don't overlap.

an express will do this, just on the internet page, put it in "off (bridge mode)".

you could also go with a unit that would run DD-WRT (a linux based firmware for many popular routers) in that case check out this page
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Access_Point
    there is also a lot of explanation of the basics of setting up a wireless access point on this page

3. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

I found that the airport base stations work the best for this type of environment but that is very costly...

If you have ethernet on each floor, why not just use a hub/switch to those machines and do one AEBS on the floor that needs the wireless the most...

The Airport express is supposed to be a good wireless extender but I find they don't have the best connectivity.

Good luck with your decision.