Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

satirev

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2010
i bought a pair of ultimate ears from logitech and these came stock with them. i must say that they are incredibly better than the rubber tips that come with many cheap headphones. they cancel outside noise better and way more comfier as well.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
I gotta agree, my Skullcandy FMJ's came with a set also, and they are absolutely great. The rubber ones wear down quickly if you go to the gym, (not sure why, probably due to sweat eating the rubber.)

jrbdmb

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
USA
After using Comply foam tips on some of my earphones I'm hooked - I can't stand wearing any earphones with silicone / rubber tips anymore.

I was going to suggest Shure "Olives" as an alternative, but they cost about the same. Not too many knockoff versions on eBay either. i wish they were a bit cheaper, but I'll gladly pay $19.99 for 5 pair vs. going back to silicone or rubber tips.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
I will try these out if my Klipsch Sm2 arent comfortable.

For anyone thats ordered I see the 3 pack is 14.99 or so, how much is shipping within the US?

sparrky

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2008
California
Yes, they are absolutely worth their price! I also will never go back to rubber tips. They can get mucked up kinda fast, but it's easy to clean them by swishing them around in some hydrogen peroxide, and they're good as new. I bought a pack of 3 about 4 months ago and I'm still on my first set. I use them with my Klipsch s4i's and the combination is just awesome.

kr00k322

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Thanks for this thread as well as all of the input..I was wondering about a solution for the silicone tips which seem to fall out of my ear every 30 seconds. Just ordered a pair from Amazon.

fifi77

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
London
I love Comply tips. They are expensive, but worth it, as others have said. Also, a pair lasts for AGES as long as you take care of them, so you do get your money's worth. I bought a pack of ten last summer and I'm only on my 4th pair (and that's only because I 'treated' myself to a new pair when I got the iPhone 4) and I use my earphones every day!

fifi77

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
London
Also, I think I paid about £15 for 10 pairs from Amazon UK. So, cost per wear, that's actually not bad at all.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
Yes they are definitely worth the price. I use them with my Apple In-Ear headphones and have been amazed at the difference. I replace the tips every couple months.

pwb2103

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2008
I really can't encourage people thinking about complys enough to try modding a pair of regular earplugs to use as tips like in the link I posted ...

All you do is buy a pack of foam earplugs (usually like $5 for 50), use scissors to cut them down a bit, then stab a screwdriver through the middle to make a hole. After I went through my second pack of Complys I finally tried modding earplugs and have never looked back. Same quality, more customizability (colors, fit), and it costs next to nothing.

Fireproof!

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Frisco, TX
Is there any real (noticeable) difference between the T (personal) and Tx (audiophile) versions from a sound quality standpoint? Or from a noise isolation standpoint?

I'm no audiophile and the cheaper ones ($15 for 3 pair typically) would work for me I'm sure. But I'm just curious.

The ghetto DIY version above might be something fun to try as well. Might have to run up to Lowe's today and try that out first...

pwb2103

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2008
haha call it ghetto if you want :)D I know you were just joking), but that link I posted includes 8 pages of audiophiles who endorse the method. Look at that set up of the OP from that thread:

12.jpg

he has a DLO to an AMP with some shure se530s which has to be around a $400 setup before including source.

I guess it really doesn't matter what you use, I have just been so happy with this method.

Fireproof!

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Frisco, TX
No - I know. :) I read the whole thread and am going to give it a try, most likely.

I use the "ghetto" term loosely to mean homemade/non-professional/non-commercial. Many "ghetto" solutions (IMO) can be actually better and cheaper than commercial solutions. No slam intended. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.