Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ichii

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
Hi I wanted to know if there's a component(red,white,yellow) cable adapter for a Macbook?

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
There are lots of VGA to component transcoders on the market, and you can hook one up using the regular Apple mini-DVI to VGA cable.

ichii

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
I'm sorry I was in a hurry and forgot to mention why I wanted a component cable adapter. I have a Sony Handycam and the only output it has is the component yellow, red/white audio cable. I just wanted to plug it into my mac and be able to transfer video from the camera to the Macbook. I know it would be easier to just get a camera with usb output, but i'm on a tight budget right now.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
ichii said:
I'm sorry I was in a hurry and forgot to mention why I wanted a component cable adapter. I have a Sony Handycam and the only output it has is the component yellow, red/white audio cable. I just wanted to plug it into my mac and be able to transfer video from the camera to the Macbook. I know it would be easier to just get a camera with usb output, but i'm on a tight budget right now.
The single yellow plug is a "composite" connection, not "component." But what you are wanting to do won't work anyway as you can't transfer video that way. What you need is a converter to take your analog signal and convert it into a digital signal that can be ingested by your Mac via firewire. An example of a popular converter is the Canopus ADVC55.

Lethal

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2004
Seattle
LethalWolfe said:
or "i.Link"

ficha4.gif

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Lebowski said:
i always though iLink was sonys focus and shuttle control remote protocol link cable...

i.Link is what Sony (and possible others, I'm not sure) call Firewire. I think you might be thinking of Lanc.

Lethal

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Sidenote: Sony's iLink is only the 4-pin variety of FireWire, and so it never carries power as a full 6-pin FireWire would.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
ichii said:
I have a Sony Handycam and the only output it has is the component yellow, red/white audio cable.
What model do you have? If you told us, we'd be able to help you better. For the price of composite/rca (those yellow, red and white cables) in via firewire, you could get another video camera that has USB or FW, though I think there are some cheap USB ones. But as far as I know, most Handycams come with FW and/or USB.

jonbirt

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2011
What model do you have? If you told us, we'd be able to help you better. For the price of composite/rca (those yellow, red and white cables) in via firewire, you could get another video camera that has USB or FW, though I think there are some cheap USB ones. But as far as I know, most Handycams come with FW and/or USB.

Hi, could you help me out?
I have a Sony DCR-SCR72 HDD Handycam and cannot import any footage onto my IMAC. Would an I-Link cable be any use?

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Hi, could you help me out?
I have a Sony DCR-SCR72 HDD Handycam and cannot import any footage onto my IMAC. Would an I-Link cable be any use?

Most AVCHD based camcorders connect with USB and not FireWire. The camera should have come with an interface cable. Most modern NLEs (iMovie, FCP, Premiere, Avid, etc.) should be able to ingest from it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.