Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
anyone using this
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB128LL/B?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY

How is the quality of the video output? I know its not high def but how do netflix movies look, for example?

Is there a cheaper aftermarket option?

I have not used this, but component does support hi-def video up to 1080i. Just wanted to set that straight. You would loose out on any multi-channel surround audio since it only uses two-channel audio (red/white).

I haven't looked recently, but you may want to check monoprice.com and see if they have a comparable cable.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing others responses.

dread

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
I would like one of these but just can't break open my wallet for a $30 cable that they charge $50 for. The price is rediculous. :eek:

St eve

agreed, $50 is insane. Maybe if it were hdmi.

Friscohoya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Oaktown
I use it to watch movies from my iphone. To be honest, I have nto tried it on my ipad yet (this weekend), but 480P on my 110" HD projector looks great. At least as good as it does in a theater. I bet the reason that the ipad only outputs 480p is because it would beg the question otherwise, why get an apple tv?

To me $50 was worth it because it basically allows me to rent through itunes without buying an apple tv which would be way more than $50.

Cinab1mt

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
I have one of these, but felt the same as some of the other posters...I originally bought the Apple cable at Best Buy, only to find out they had an off brand with all the same functionality at around $30, not sure of the name.

Anyway, if you keep looking youll find cheaper solutions, they are out there, and mine produces the same HD quality, and I love it.

Now that Air Video App has video out, I can stream all my movies from my computer right to my HD tv seamlessly using this cable, I love it!

yaroldb

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2007
I found an open box at Micro Center for $25. Hooked it up and it works great. I can even stream Netflix with it. I use AirVideo to stream from my iMac upstairs. It does have a few downsides. It does not charge the iPad while playing, but it does power it. For example. If I hook up the iPad and it is at 84% battery, when the movie is done it will still be at 84% battery. It will charge it if I just leave it plugged in. The other downside is sound. While it maybe just my movies, the sound is very low and I have to turn the sound way up to watch a movie, I have the same problem with the NetFlix streams. Other than that, it runs great. I was going to buy an Apple TV but this worked out just as good. Oh and no remote yet. So I can not pause or rewind without doing it on the iPad.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I have both the composite and component cable by Apple and Netflix streaming looks AMAZING - Lost streams in many connections HD quality even on a 50" HDTV!

sonofpismo

macrumors regular
May 20, 2002
Orlando, Florida
I use Apple's TV-out cable with my iPad regularly, both at home and on the road. They work great. Not only do iTunes movie play through well, but so do third party video apps like NetFlix, TWiTpad, ABC, and streaming media apps like AirVideo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.