Component video output from Mac Pro, what are the options?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by grue, Sep 8, 2008.

1. grue macrumors 65816

Thus far the only thing I'm reasonably sure will give me component video output from a mac pro is the Blackmagic Intensity Pro.

The Radeon 3870 seems to have component output, but I'm not sure if this is supported on the Mac side of things. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Are there any options other than these two?

Thanks in advance.

2. pprior macrumors 65816

Aren't there DVI to component adapters?

Why do you need component?

3. grue thread starter macrumors 65816

The DVI & VGA to component adapters seem to need some level of software support that doesn't seem to work on MacOS.

It's for a client of mine, his media switch to send signals throughout the house uses component.

4. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

This isn't a software-level conversion. We're talking about two different types of signals here. Hardware is needed to convert an RGB signal from a VGA port to a Y/Pb/Pr signal that a TV will understand. You need something like this.

Also note that you'll need to make sure the video driver will output TV-friendly resolutions. Otherwise, you'll need to use an application like DisplayConfigX to force one. If the TVs around your client's house will accept 1080i (1920x1080) component video signals, this will probably be your best bet.

Another good thing to know is that most TVs apply overscanning (cropping of a few lines at the top and bottom of the image to make SD material "broadcast safe") that's adjustable on only a few TVs.

5. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Question... Why do you need component video?
    Maybe then I can try help you...

6. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Actually, that was addressed in this post:

It's not uncommon to run into these situations in the world of custom integration (I used to do sales for a high-end A/V integrator). A lot of video distribution devices (Crestron, AMX, etc.) are limited to component video because of the complexity that still exists with HDMI.

Integrating media computers (whether they're Mac or PC) with such devices is never smooth sailing because of the differences between RGB and component video. Companies like Kaleidoscape that charge $30k+ for dedicated media servers exist for this very reason.

So I suppose a further question to the OP would be what the client's specific reason is needing video distribution from his Mac Pro throughout the house. If it's for things like streaming video, that can be achieved a lot more appropriately (and cheaply) with an Apple TV. But controlling either one remotely is a whole other discussion...

7. Virtuoso macrumors regular

Another important question is, what does he want to output?

The Intensity Pro will only output the video from supported applications (eg Final Cut, Premiere, After Effects etc). It won't output the actual OSX desktop, if that's what he wants?

8. eme jota ce macrumors regular

Thanks for adding that nugget of information to the discussion, Virtuoso.

Very helpful as I research the threads looking for answers to my own question.

9. grue thread starter macrumors 65816

Oho, good to know. Basically, he wants to be able to switch the output from his Mac around the house and use his plasma displays so he can browse the web wherever he is on his TV and such. If the Intensity can't spit the desktop/Safari/iTunes over component, that's a hell of a good thing to know, and I thank you for that :)

Right now he's pushing out via composite with the DVI->video adapter, but of course it looks like complete crap so he's looking for a better solution… the hunt continues!

10. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Man, those pesky clients. :rolleyes: I had clients wanting stuff like that all the time when it was easier (and often cheaper) for them to just use a laptop.

How is he set up to control his Mac Pro (e.g. keyboard and mouse input) from several rooms away?