Components: Wish for and wish to rid of!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vpro, Sep 23, 2016.

1. vpro, Sep 23, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2016

vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

For the next 2016-2017 MacBook Pros:

What I would do, if I could design my own laptop :D (happy?)

1- I'd love to see a drastically thinner screen bezel;
    2- Get RID of the cam and mic (allow the consumer to purchase even better quality cam/mic setup;
    3- I love the force touch trackpad, make it bigger.
    4- I NEVER use the speakers, get rid of them, I'm always using headphones and AUX out to speakers;
    5- I love an apple logo that doesn't give off light;
    6- Matt black finish would be awesome;
    7- Give the backlight under the keyboard a golden hue.
    8- 4K or 5K or 8K OLED display
    9- DO NOT include an OLED strip, good gosh, I don't need extra light bleed/glare on the screen!

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

2&4 these are integral parts of a laptop for the vast majority of people and would stop sales for many many people why would you want Apple to produce a laptop no one would buy, when it makes no difference to you.

Thinner bezels meh who cares I look at the screen when I use it.

Space for a bigger trackpad would ruin it's aesthetics when you quite clearly worry about hue of lights and other such things why would you want to ruin the balance.

Oled screens great but 4K and above just put massive stress on the GPU for increasingly diminishing returns at laptop screen sizes, the current screen is great and Apple uses the best colour gamut etc they can I'd much rather have a great screen at lower resolution that a laptop can drive easily.

Oled doesn't have light bleed so the strip should make no difference.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I would have to say that most of your suggestions would be the demise of the MBP
    Drop the camera, mic, speakers, golden hue.

Many people want and use the camera, mic and speakers, why force them to buy even more components, that would then have to be carried around. The laptop is a portable device, it would be ludacrious to think that Apple would require people to pack, a camera, speakers, and microphone when they can easily build those components inside the laptop.

Just because you may not use them, doesn't diminish the value for others.

4. brand macrumors 601

brand

It's clear that you do not understand what the word legacy means. You also titled the thread as a list of things to get rid of then over have of your list is personal wants and not things to get rid of.

5. ApolloBoy, Sep 23, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2016

ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

Just when I thought ditching the headphone jack was ridiculous.

If anything I hope the new MBP gets speakers similar to the rMB because those are perhaps some of the best goddamn speakers I've ever heard in a laptop.

6. vpro thread starter macrumors 65816

vpro

They are really good. The ones on my 2006 17"MacBook Pro are superb too, the bass has a lot of presence and body.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

But you want Apple to get rid of them, and require headphones or external speakers.

The sound quality of BT headphones has been so far inferior to that of wired headphones or speakers. Plus many people including myself would rather use speakers then having to use headphones.

8. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Even the iphone has a camera, mic, and speakers...

I`d like to see:
    1. IGZO screen at 2100p
    2. For the keyboard, keep the same key travel as the current rMBP; don't make it like the Macbook
    3. The rumored 4 USB C/TB3 ports, headphone jack setup is fine - but also add in support for a microSD card that fits flush with the computer. I like having cheap, slow storage for music and such that doesn't need speed, rather than waste space on an SSD that can do over 1000 MB/s read/write. With the current MBP, you can buy an adapter for the SD card and do just that. All 4 USB C ports can be TB3 and can charge. Hopefully apple also sells a reasonably priced USB C/ TB3 docking station.
    4. No OLED strip, just regular function keys.
    5. eGPU support and Apple sells a reasonably priced eGPU case solution. Apple also works with nvidia and amd to get driver support for all recent-gen cards.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Wouldn't TB3 give you that?

10. nnicot macrumors member

1. water resistant keyboard
    2. eGPU support via TB3
    3. 16/512 standard
    4. smaller form factor without sacrificing battery life or performance

11. Freyqq macrumors 68040

TB3 support and actively supporting eGPU are 2 different things. To get eGPU to work now, I understand it requires some third-party software.

12. vpro thread starter macrumors 65816

vpro

BT headphones suck and causes latency when used with music recording programs (DAWS).

They used to have actual subwoofers in their 2006 17"MacBook pros, the sound was rich and full, punchy and clear, when placed next to my late 2011 17"MacBook Pro and Late 2015 15"rMBP (which has the worst speakers on earth). Hence I stopped using speakers on my MacBook pros. I plug in speakers with expensive amps when I'm in my recording studios. I have superior wired headphones when I'm mobile producing/recording/tracking/mastering. Laptop speakers are inferior. If they are so terrible, they should be made really, really small, to make room for bigger battery etc etc, they should make small speakers just to hear siri or other internal sounds. I turn off all sounds, I love a silent computing experience, that's why the MacBook shallow butterfly keyboard with the force-touch trackpad are totally heavenly !

If APPLE took out the headphone jack on the iPhones, they should be just as courageous with removing the speakers in their MacBook Pro lines, people are more concerned with bigger better longer lasting batteries anyhow? I mean seriously, how many times have you heard of people spilling all kinds of fluids on their expensive gadgets? The speaker grills taken away would be one less surface liquids can enter!

13. lambertjohn macrumors 6502

Hey, I just want to see the new 2016 MacBook Pros! Come on Apple, release them already!!

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That wasn't courage removing the headphone jack from the phone, that was greed. They want to sell more wireless headphones with the iPhone.

For the Mac, the speakers serve a purpose and it would be ludicrous for them to remove it, especially because if they woud do that, it would only to make the Mac thinner.