Composing new Email on a Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Bigyella, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Bigyella macrumors member

Hello, I am new here, so please be gentle with me! :) . Anyway, My problem is this! When I am composing a new email, or replying to an email.. I am having trouble with fonts! It all goes fine, until I want to increase the font size for just one word, to stress my point! I cannot seem to do this, and if I do manage to get it done, I cannot return to the previous size font! Also, If I paste a quote from and earlier email into the body of my new email.. Then all my font that I type, after that quote, is the same size and type, as the quote! I can not for the life of me figure out how to do this?? Anyone willing to point me in the right direction? Thanks, Brian

2. St Soichiro macrumors regular

CMD-T brings up the font panel. You could use that to adjust fonts or sizes.

3. Bigyella thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your quick reply! I am aware of that feature, however, when I choose a different font size, and begin to type, it defaults immediately back to the previous font! Only opening a new message will bring my original font back?

4. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

ever heard of caps lock?

who wants to read a multi-font email? unless its an html email....

5. Bigyella thread starter macrumors member

Thank you tempusfugit!
    Not sure, if that was a smart a** answer or not! But, after trying that, I can select the font I want, the hit caps lock, and it will work as desired! Since I wont be sending you any emails, you wont have to worry about reading any multi-font emails!

6. freesonwang macrumors member

That's odd. Can you try to type the email and then "font-ize" by highlighting and changing the font?

7. Bigyella thread starter macrumors member

Humm?? IDK? :confused: I have never tried that! Not in a selected block anyway! LOL.. I have been so used to hitting the command + button... I just could not understand why that would not work?? Thanks for the tip! I have had problems with this, the last 3 years that I have owned MAC's.. But thanks to the help received here,, I think I got this now! LOL

8. St Soichiro macrumors regular

Actually that is what I had meant. There is no embedded font code (as in Word, for example). So you have to use cmd-T on a selected block.

I emphasize emails too using italics (select block and then cmd-i) or bold (block and then cmd-b). Sometimes I resort to color. Use shift-cmd-C to bring up the color panel. Again select block and then choose color.

9. Bigyella thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! That is exactly the help I was looking for! Even If I did not know how to ask it! That really helps! I feel like I know around a MAC pretty well, but some things still stump me! I know that I will never be a PC owner again! Again Thanks for the help!

10. Bigyella thread starter macrumors member

Okay thanks for the help! :).. I am happy now! But I still cannot get italics to work, by selecting block. then cmd-i ? Not That I really need it, but since I opened this thread, and I am learning, thought I would get it all! LOL.. Thanks for your time!

11. Ashka macrumors 6502a

Ashka

You will only be able to change the font to italic, or bold for that matter, IF there is an italic or bold version of the font Installed on your Mac. MS fudges the change to bold or italic Mac doesn't.
    Just one of the differences between the OSs.
    S.