Composite Back on the Sport?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by GrumpyMom, Apr 4, 2015.

1. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

I've been digging around on Apple's site and found some small info on the zirconia ceramic backing on the Apple Watch and Edition but nothing about the composite back on the Sport.

Does anyone know what this composite is composed of? Is it some sort of polymer?

2. 01silver4 macrumors 6502a

01silver4

Its usually number of material put together, end result u have a material that is strong. Composite's is used for walls, shelfs, tables. In cars and planes you name it, it's used for lot of things through out the world.

3. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

If you combine two or more different materials, you have a composite. Epoxy/fibreglass, as used in boat hulls, car body panels and a multitude of other things for example is a composite. Plywood could be considered a composite (wood, and glue.)

The sport Watch's back is plastic. It likely consists of multiple injections, like an opaque (black) base material, then a transparent outer layer. It has been said there's a hardcoat on top of that, to protect the pulse sensor's lenses.

4. GrumpyMom thread starter macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

Thank you both for the replies. I was familiar with composites in building materials because my husband and I had looked at newly constructed houses that had composite floor joists. Wasn't sure what the composite used in the Apple Sport was comprised of. Interesting. I guessed they decided to go with composite instead of the ceramic in order to keep it light and balanced with the light aluminum case, and perhaps lower cost.

5. Wallabe macrumors 6502a

That's what I'm thinking, aluminum case, plastic back with a coating of lacquer. It'll feel cheap compared to the stainless steel.