Composite out of G4 quicksilver edition...?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by addict4evr, May 15, 2007.

1. addict4evr macrumors newbie

Is it possible to use the DVI-video adapter on a G4 quicksilver...I have read some forums that says you cant and some that do...when you look on apple.com at the adapters description it does not say that it is for the G4 quicksilver...Any ideas if it works...they didnt even know in my apple store when i phoned and they usually know everything....?

If it doesnt work how do i get hooked up to my TV...?

Cheers...

2. -DH macrumors 65816

3. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

I do not know about DVI connectivity to your G4.

But for alternatives, as DH implied, it depends what you want to see on your TV.

If you want to use it as a computer monitor, and you do not have DVI already, I believe your only option would be to get a graphics card that does have DVI out.

If you want to use it with an editing program like FCP (as this is the digital video section), you can just connect a firewire camera to both your computer and your TV.

4. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

I think the OP is meaning he has a DVI port on the computer, and a standard composite (aka "RCA") video in on his TV, and he wants to use the DVI to Video Adapter.

In short: no.

The above-linked adapter only works on systems that have a composite signal coming out of their DVI port already. It doesn't do any signal conversion. The current MacBooks, iMacs, and the mini all have TV-out hardware in them, but no dedicated TV out port. So they just use some of the normally unused pins of the DVI port for this. When you plug in this adapter, it just physically connects the DVI port pins to the S-Video and composite connections. It also says that the Radeon X1950 for the Mac Pro apparently has the proper TV out in it, but specifically does *NOT* mention the other Mac Pro video cards.

The video card in your Power Mac does not have any TV out circuitry in it, so no simple adapters will work. The simplest solution is to upgrade to a video card that *DOES* have TV out already. Unfortunately, it's hard to find Mac AGP cards. An ATI Radeon 9800 Mac Edition would be a good choice, if you don't want to plug in an ADC monitor. It has one DVI, one VGA, and one TV out port. (S-Video with a adapter to make it composite.)