Compositing on the ipad2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by alsec, Sep 7, 2011.

1. alsec macrumors newbie

My day job is a compositor working with such programs as, Nuke, After Effects, Final Cut, Maya, and yes very rarely but sometimes shake...very rarely. I freelance and work from home most of the time, have a nice desktop setup at home. I'm traveling a lot more as of late, making it increasingly harder to get some work done. I've been lucky thus far to be loned a laptop to get work done, however I wont always be lucky. Now I understand this question is a shot in the dark, but I was wondering if anyone has experimented with compositing on the ipad. I've tried the remote desktop app "jumpdesktop", and as it is a great app to access my comp from home, it's not intuitive enough and tends to be extremely slow, and yes I know the ideal situation would be to get a laptop, but I need to generate more money first. If anything I hope this thread generates a discussion of ideas, thank you.

Tl;dr - Has anyone experimented with compositing on the ipad?

2. poloponies macrumors 68030

If you're relying on this for your livelihood then sell the iPad and get a notebook, regardless of the cost. Even if such a thing were possible I can't imagine trying to composite solely on an iPad. Do the sensible thing.

3. sphoenix macrumors regular

sphoenix

I'm in the VFX area too. Compositing on Nuke is complicated enough in terms of using multiple tools and constantly changing inputs to get your result, but doing that on a touch-screen is just gonna be painful - and much slower.

Even if The Foundry did come out with an app, I can't imagine doing roto, tracking, projections fluently on an iPad. Devs probably know it won't have a market on the iOS platform too, so no use in putting the effort in.

4. alsec thread starter macrumors newbie

Experimenting with Nuke using a remote desktop app was painful mainly due to the lag time. However, I did enjoy the touchscreen interactivity with roto. I use a wacom tablet at home, not a fan of the mouse in general, and granted the precission on the ipad isn't quite there, it's that being able to somewhat interact more with your project I enjoy. I do hope tablet compositing will happen someday, but I agree Devs dont see a market there right now.

----------

I agree, your recomendation is the sensible thing, and most likely I'll end up doing just that. For the time being I'm hoping to get some experiemental suggestions.

5. psonice macrumors 6502a

I've been writing some stuff along these lines (not compositing specifically, but VFX). I think you'll have a major problem, because of the hardware.

Basically, the iPad 2 is fast enough for some fairly complex video work (forget the iPad 1!) . You could certainly layer a bunch of effects, add overlays/titles/etc., and work at up to 720p (1080 might be possible, not sure). It would be fast enough, if the app is well written (my own work handles 720p30 with a large number of effects in realtime, so it's definitely possible).

The catch: this all relies on the hardware video decoder. That takes a huge load off the CPU, making this kind of thing possible. But there's only 1 decoder, so you can only handle one video stream at a time - meaning even a simple cross-fade becomes very slow. Unless you're working with only one video stream, it's not going to be a good editing tool.